Advice on Black Powder rifles.

I would like to get into black powder shooting and eventually get into competitive shooting.
I used to shoot B/P years ago with a mate on his farm.
Being stuck in the middle of a desert I can’t go down to a range and ask for advice.
What are the calibre requirements/ restrictions, the ssaa website doesn’t give much information.
Seen a couple nice rifles that look interesting.

@danmac to the rescue!

A couple of web sites that might have the information you are looking for.
Muzzle Loaders Associations International Committee https://mlaic.org/
SSAA muzzle loading discipline/s https://www.ssaa.org.au/disciplines/all-disciplines/muzzleloading/
and there is Black Powder Cartridge, which danmac will hopefully point you in the right direction of.
Good luck - keep your powder dry. Smokeless powder is only a passing fad.

Are you interested in muzzleloaders or cartridge?
I mainly do bpcr silhouette and long-range but also shoot long-range muzzleloader and some short-range as well.
Where are you based?

I am in central Aust, They have a SSAA range in Alice unfortunately I cannot get there on the right weekend ATM.
I am interested in muzzle loading, but would like to shoot clays.
I have seen a couple of Pedersoli rifles for sale a .50 cal and a .54 cal.
Looking at SSAA site I can’t see any thing about what calibre are permitted.

Thank :+1:

Smokeless powder is only a passing fad. Have to get this on a T shirt. :rofl:

1 Like

There’s no calibre restrictions on black powder muzzleloaders, even in WA (for now) - despite the large diameter of some of the projectiles, they tend to be moving quite slowly - the muzzle velocity on a Pattern 1853 Enfield musket is about 900ft/sec, which is less than a 9mm Parabellum round.

Where are you planning on getting black powder or percussion caps from? It’s hard enough to get even in the major cities, I can’t imagine it’s readily available in the Outback of the Northern Territory…

1 Like

Things have changed, last lot B/P I bought was sent through the post.
I was wondering where you can get it, must be somewhere in Darwin.