ADI powders update (bad news)

Might be time to start mixing my own black powder, lol.

1 Like

And give up shotguns.

Yep I scored one Saturday in a swap…

Great powder…not position sensitive…

The final instalment in the ADI saga, not all doom and gloom on the rifle powder front. Although, 2205 was a freaking good find when I did LOL

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: General ADI2205 discussion

A new press release:

We’ve had a powder update from ADI, not all good news; see below for their press release.

Attention Dealers,

Please see below the update from ADI on their rifle propellants and specifically the packs and popularity/frequency of manufacture for each:

"Rifle Propellant Outlook

AR2206(H), AR2208, AR2209, AR2213SC - These propellants are our core rifle range and account for the majority of the propellant we release to the market every year. These propellants will be available in both 1kg and 4kg bottles for the foreseeable future and we have these propellants represented through the different stages of manufacture almost constantly.

AR2217 – While this propellant is outside our core range, it is still a popular choice. However, due to production capacity constraints, the decision has been made to only offer this propellant in 4kg bottles through 2021. It isn’t made as regularly as our core rifle range above, but is typically made multiple times a year.

AR2225, AR2218 – Our two slowest burning propellants represent only a small amount of the propellant we release to the market every year. Due to this, combined with production capacity constraints, we’ll be offering these products in 4kg bottles only throughout 2021.

This is likely to be a welcome change for those that use these propellants as AR2225 was only previously offered in a 500gm bottle. As many already know, the smaller bottles disappear quickly when loading for common AR2225 calibres.

We make both of these propellants as often as we can, but have to balance market demand with onsite storage at the factory so we don’t affect storage of other necessary energetics.

Benchmark 1, AR2205 – Like AR2225 and AR2218, these propellants only account for a small proportion of our annual demand. Due to a combination of factors that include the aforementioned as well as manufacturing batch sizes, these propellants will not be manufactured in 2021. However, we do currently have stock of AR2205 for our distributors to access as needed.

AR2207, AR2219, Benchmark 2, Benchmark 8208 – These propellants will continue to be offered in 2021, however we have consolidated the bottle sizes in an effort to manufacture more propellant and release it to the Australian market. These will be offered in 1kg bottles only for the foreseeable future. Production of these propellants is less frequent when compared with the core range (AR2206(H), AR2208, AR2209 and AR2213SC) but we still endeavour to make them in line with market demand.

Trail Boss – This propellant is unlikely to be released in 2021 and there continues to be an active research and development project associated with its delivery."

1 Like

I’m happy that they are making 2217 in 4kg now.

I’m sad about 2205…looks like I will have to try W296

That’s… really, really concerning because it’s a hugely popular powder and not having it will pretty much end the Cowboy/Single-Action Shooting scene in Australia. It’s also great for making up practice/lower-power loads of larger calibre hunting rifles too.

I wouldn’t be getting too involved in that, since Winchester powders aren’t being imported anymore - it’s basically ADI, Alliant, and that’s it - and I don’t think the Alliant stuff is available in great quantities outside QLD.

What did cowboy action shooters load before Trailboss?

The pistol powders which ADI has stopped producing…

1 Like

So are we doing this or what?! Who’s going to volunteer to draft a strongly worded petition :laughing:

Could BM1 be used in any of the cartridges?

Hmmm sounds like a stealth attack on pistol shooters…

Black Powder :rofl:

1 Like

I see NIOA are doing a little spiel on Alliant pistol powders at 3pm today, they must be trying to get the ADI replacement out there lol
https//nioa/nioa-tv-livestream-bushnell-2906102?e=7bbb4e64b1

1 Like

Just had a very quick look, looks like good powder. But how much and how many is the question. I suppose those who need it will buy it, I think price should be no more than $60/500gm though with imports. When animal (ADI) shows weakness, other animals (importers) rip it apart. Also, looks like a pretty good powder for bigger calibres.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2lE6F36_wQ

Alliant powders have been available in QLD for a couple of years now so I switched to Unique when ADI stopped doing AP-70N; I’ve been really happy with it and and it also has the advantage of being easier to get load data for as well since it’s widely available in the US.