A22R becoming Cat C in NT

Was their point that they think it’s going to happen in Victoria too?

In larger states, after it has been vetted and classified… I’d be surprised if there wasn’t a gofundme campaign to retain legal representation, if this would happen retrospectively. Nfi how it works in NT, but when there’s more details on this, assuming it’s not a hoax or clerical error, if the dude started go fundme, I’m sure he’d be set to fight it, like wedgetail issue and that long range shooting mob recently (who won by the way). Different times, I suppose.

1 Like

No, no mention of that, my feeling was that they wouldnt be around by the time it came in. Which may only be weeks. By the look of it when the rent runs out its all over.

Word is the patents used refer to it as a linear action.

But what do straight pulls fall under? I mean up until now they were all considered bolt actions and still are in all the other States.

I would have thought that linear would be anything that does not twist.

Straight pulls can still have a twist in them to lock them up. The AR22 does not. Laws and rules need to be very careful with wording.

Faaaaark. No, going to the shop Tomorrow to put a deposit on an A22R. Don’t listen to the man saying a BL22 is better.
Pre 96 I was faster with aimed fire with my Model 62 Winchester than my Mate with his Stirling semi auto. Having played a little bit with a good A22R I’m confident that it is the fastest available bunny buster that I am licensed for.

Found this.

On Page 4, it was the Commissioner of Police which reclassified it at C/D for linear repeating firearms. So good point, not really a change of law.

What I don’t get now though, is that why was this decision made by the police, where when the Adler shotguns were reclassified, it required amendments to the Firearms Act in parliament (at least in Victoria). I don’t see why they’re different enough that one was done by the police, and the other needed legislative changes.

G’day mate,
There was nothing in the operation or appearance of the Adler that allowed a discretionary action by a Chief Commissioner, ergo Act of Parliament required.

1 Like

Verney Carron Patent:

Linear repeating firearm, with assisted ejection

Abstract

A linear repeating firearm, with assisted ejection, comprising: means capable of recovering the energy resulting from the pressure exerted when firing a round of ammunition (7) with a view to moving a mobile assembly (4) against an elastic return member and comprising a stopper, a latch and a striker cooperating with a hammer (5) controlled by a trigger (6), locking means (11) at the rear of the mobile assembly (4), in the compressed position of the return spring (10), after each shot, a manually actuatable unlocking assembly (12) capable of acting on the locking means (11) to release the mobile assembly (4) and allow the assisted return of said assembly (4) with a view to reloading.

Perhaps this is where the Commish is getting his word salad. Do most Australians know that our last Commissioner was released from Jail last Christmas and had to wear an ankle bracelet haha :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Confirmed.

Yikes. If only he spent the time working on his painting instead of writing.

3 Likes

As I said in my post, since edited, read the Firearms Act. I did say 'technically".

The “topic” being change of classification of the Savage A22R in the Territory, and what that may mean for others? It then is not helpful to have one’s post dedacted for “false information” when even a basic reading of the Firearms Act Section 3 may be helpful to those who currently possess such rifles. What I posted was not out of the blue but a consideration of mine after recent discussions with members of the Dept of Justice and others regarding this definition. The Act is clear and definitive. Cheers.

Fact of the matter, is that the firearm was classified as it was. As such, it is technically and legally a category A rimfire rifle in all jurisdiction other than NT, as of late. Everything else is a theoretical exercise, other than what it was classified as. I don’t see a point calling it something that it’s not, when it is clearly classed, legally purchased and registered as Cat A.

1 Like

https://shootersunion.com.au/response-to-nt-acting-commission-of-police/

6 Likes

@no1mk3 Why don’t you you just write to LRD and tell them all about it, posting it all over the interballs can not help the cause mate!

Just making a point chum. There was a question mark regarding the veracity of my information in a post which I needed to uphold. part of my medical condition is an anal attitude to the Law (as well as other things) if I’m right, I don’t like being told I’m wrong. As to LRD, if you think for one second what happened in the Territory has not been noticed in other jurisdictions, especially with the Police up there already saying they want this to go to NFA, you’re just burying your head in the sand. But as I already have 1 post dedacted, and 1 removed, I can see that no-one wants free, full and open discussion about this matter so I will withdraw. All the best to you.

NT NEWS printed a shooters comment today. Ill snap a photo when I get back to the shop.

We’ve written to the Acting Police Commissioner demanding an explanation on several aspects of the situation, and we’ve also written to the NT Police Minister asking her to intervene and reverse the decision as well.

Once we get a response, we’ll keep everyone posted!

2 Likes

Photos, @JizzFlinger?