A22R becoming Cat C in NT

Yikes. If only he spent the time working on his painting instead of writing.

3 Likes

As I said in my post, since edited, read the Firearms Act. I did say 'technically".

The “topic” being change of classification of the Savage A22R in the Territory, and what that may mean for others? It then is not helpful to have one’s post dedacted for “false information” when even a basic reading of the Firearms Act Section 3 may be helpful to those who currently possess such rifles. What I posted was not out of the blue but a consideration of mine after recent discussions with members of the Dept of Justice and others regarding this definition. The Act is clear and definitive. Cheers.

Fact of the matter, is that the firearm was classified as it was. As such, it is technically and legally a category A rimfire rifle in all jurisdiction other than NT, as of late. Everything else is a theoretical exercise, other than what it was classified as. I don’t see a point calling it something that it’s not, when it is clearly classed, legally purchased and registered as Cat A.

1 Like

https://shootersunion.com.au/response-to-nt-acting-commission-of-police/

6 Likes

@no1mk3 Why don’t you you just write to LRD and tell them all about it, posting it all over the interballs can not help the cause mate!

Just making a point chum. There was a question mark regarding the veracity of my information in a post which I needed to uphold. part of my medical condition is an anal attitude to the Law (as well as other things) if I’m right, I don’t like being told I’m wrong. As to LRD, if you think for one second what happened in the Territory has not been noticed in other jurisdictions, especially with the Police up there already saying they want this to go to NFA, you’re just burying your head in the sand. But as I already have 1 post dedacted, and 1 removed, I can see that no-one wants free, full and open discussion about this matter so I will withdraw. All the best to you.

NT NEWS printed a shooters comment today. Ill snap a photo when I get back to the shop.

We’ve written to the Acting Police Commissioner demanding an explanation on several aspects of the situation, and we’ve also written to the NT Police Minister asking her to intervene and reverse the decision as well.

Once we get a response, we’ll keep everyone posted!

2 Likes

Photos, @JizzFlinger?

@ShootersUnion seems like you are the only ones that are doing something.

2 Likes

1 Like

Finally put money down on one Monday, I’ll pick it up in a week or so once I pay the rest and get a PTA.
Thing is it is one I’d like to take with me next time I go to the NT.

Sunbury have a big sale on these for a week, have a look on ozgunsales if your Interested.

Personally I didn’t like it, but then I’m that strange dude sitting in the corner drooling over the $12single shot shotgun your grandpa was embarrassed to take out hunting. :drooling_face:

Mine was $650 before $100 cash back from Nioa. Melbourne firearms in Ringwood.

$495 for the classic blued or $510 for the stainless. Who isn’t paying the extra $15!?

1 Like

Bugger.

Still Happy with what I’m paying. $55 or 140 odd Klms round trip.

1 Like

SSAA Darwin Branch Members

As you may or may not be aware, on 3rd October 2019 the Acting Police Commissioner Declared that all “Linear Repeating Firearms’ previously Category A and B to now be Category C and D respectively. This has resulted in letters being sent to owners of the Savage A22R .22 Rifle stating that they are now a Category C firearm and that they are to either:-

1. Dispose of the firearm; or

2. Obtain the appropriate licence; or

3. Have the firearm seized and be compensated at a predetermined rate.

Firearms Dealers also received an advice instruction.

SSAA NT as a member organisation of the NT Firearms Council oppose this reclassification and is involved with the NT Firearms Council who have written to and are lobbying the Police Commissioner and the Minister for Police (Manison) for it to be rescinded or withdrawn.

SSAA NT has also written direct to the Commissioner for Police and the Police Minister (Manison) expressing our disagreement with the reclassification action and concern that the matter was not discussed at the legislated Firearms Advisory Council meeting in the police planning stages prior.

SSAA National have been briefed and has a Facebook page (SSAA) with a number of posts on the subject.

This issue is an unnecessary and unjustified impost on our sport and pass time and must not go unchallenged.

Cool. Local SSAA is getting into it. Synchronise Swatches!

1 Like

I read this and without context, I say, what a joke.

who have written to and are lobbying the Police Commissioner and the Minister for Police (Manison) for it to be rescinded or withdrawn.

Ohhh I am sure everyone is shaking in their little booties, SSAA is writing stern letters. That’s a joke beyond belief and damage control after @ShootersUnion jumped on this right from the start. Right? Like a month too late. It doesn’t take long to react, but after so much public criticism and disgust from its members, I have a feeling they are doing the token minimum to seem relevant, but we can see through that.

Then, there’s a little bit of context from their Facebook page. They mentioned that there may be some legal action being prepared, this is a lot more interesting. I would like to know more about that. Telling people they spent a whopping 30 minutes writing and a month arguing about font size is a little too late. I want to know about something concrete they are doing.

1 Like

Can I just take a second to congratulate you on your most excellent Parker Lewis Can’t Lose reference? :smiley:

1 Like