6mm hunting rifle build ideas

Hey guys,
Been wanting build a 6mm hunting rifle for a while now, I want to use The Rem 700 sbs 22-250 I already have Because the barrel has just about give up the ghost. Now I’ve already purchased a Swan Heavy barrel blank for this build in 6mm so I’m not prepared to deviate from this plus I already have quite a few Calibers that fill the niche around the 6mm. I just want to have some fun with this rifle, building it and shooting for long rang varmints the odd goat and fallow. there’s also a good possibility of this rifle been housed in a black collar arms pork sword chassis. After some arduous research and banging my head I’ve came up really two that I would really want wildcat cartridges 6XC and the dasher. What is everyone’s thoughts? Opinions? Concerns? Have you got some foreign crazy 6mm cartridge ideas deep down in the dark depths of your head that no one knows about yet? Let us know?

1 Like

What the hell is a pork sword?

Interested to see how this build pans out…

1 Like

Pork sword lol

P E N I S
E
N
I
S

Also known as a ‘pork sword’ :rofl:

1 Like

From what I know they are both pretty close to the same performance as each other.
Having shot a couple of rounds from both, I think that the 6XC was the better but only just and it may have just come down to stocks and not the calibre.

I guess it will come down to brass and its availability though I remember reading that you can form 6XC from 22-250 brass.

1 Like

That is definitely the biggest winner for me as I have a lot of 22-250 brass to start working off
I’ve done a lot of reading about the 6XC, 6X, 6x47 lap, 6BR, and the dasher while all similar and very accurate a lot of comp shooters will state the differences are so marginal that it comes back to personal shooting ability.
Cheers mate

For a minute there I thought you were comparing the stock to the penis :rofl:

3 Likes

Haha that’s a pisser, I didn’t see that coming(pun intended)

Just had a look at the bullet drop tables for some random 6mm - daaaaamn. Point blank range at almost 500m (for non-precision work).

1 Like

gets popcorn
…waits for @sungazer to come in and slap everyone

1 Like

No slapping from me. There are some really impressive 6mm cartridges. However the cartridge is just one component in the Shooting platform. Accuracy is the sum of all the components that make up your firearm, or it could be thought of in reverse and only as good as the weakest link in the chain.

Only downside with these cartridges is barrel life some of them make the 243 look good when it comes to barrel life. You could possibly only expect to get 900-1200 rounds out of a barrel. Other thing is that they can get blown around a bit more in reality than what is written on the ballistic charts. Not sure why that is the case the drops in the charts are spot on.

2 Likes

Thanks for info mate, I’m the same boat an think that their are a lot of capable cartridges out that also only as strong as their weakest link which is usually a shooter. I sort of pre emtped the barrel wear so I purchased barrel twins, saved on cost In the long run which was great. my biggest concerns right now are feeding issues with the bit longer OAL,longer bullets. But according to my measurements AI style box mags should be Schmick and ready to roll

I’ll play the devils advocate, what about 6mm Creedmoor? Can shoot up to 110gr bullets @ 3000 f/s if you want, (1 in 7 twist barrel required though). Or, shoot 75 to 85 grainers at up to 3400f/s, thats a flat shooting “hunting” rifle.
Fits AR mags. Plenty of choices of brass available off the shelf, why fuck around forming it when someone has already done it for you?
I’ve been more than happy with my 6.5 shooting silhouette, will hold around sub 2" groups @500m with the 147gr ELD-M’s going 2500f/s. Mild load, should give me good barrel life.
P.S, I do own a few rifles in “Wildcat” chamberings as well! :laughing:

2 Likes

Your a pretty tame devil :grin: I think you can get 6mm BR brass from factory. From there you can make the BRX, BRC, Dasher ect. The old 243 with a 1.8 twist will shoot the 105s nicely and moving them along quite quickly.

I think the idea is to poo poo the idea and suggest a better calibre like you did with the 6.5. The 6mm will take down the big animals and out to at least 300 yrds but it like the 6.5 is not legal to do so. There are also a lot of hunters that have been getting stopped on the road esp at night to check that they have not been poaching or shooting on private land without permission or shooting with lights on crown land ect. So much better to stay on the legal side of things.

Get the real mans hunting rifle 30-06 or the 8*57 if your European. :rofl:

1 Like

Not what I was implying. Just mentioned the Creedmoor as a lot of people love to hate it. :grin: ( usually those that have had zero experience with it )
If @JMC_Def has a shitload of .22-250 cases on hand, why not build a 6mm-250 Ackley?
Like you said, there 'aint much difference between most of the 6mm’s. I personally go for efficiency of the round over anything else. If one round gives the velocity you are chasing using less powder than another, that’s got to be a good thing. Ackley improved cases are easy to form, give good efficiency and lifespan.

3 Likes

Great I might even go that route a have a look at the 6mm-250. Your right efficiency is a beautiful thing and if you can achieve it with minimal effort more power to ya.