577 Snider load advice

Anybody wanting to know what is, or is not, considered antique in Queensland, go here: - https://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/weaponsLicensing/licenceApplication/ammunition/ammunitionavailability.htm

Although the web link is to their current list, I don’t believe that it is any way complete.

1 Like

@TheDude what bullet mould did you use to fireform the Snider brass? Bertram and 20ga shells are too small to fit anything I have and need to be fireformed. Wondering if you could suggest something that you did?

I used the Lyman 575 PH mold for my 2 band enfield muzzleloader for first load. From memory they were a pretty tight fit and needed a slight flair on the cases.

2 Likes

Is that minie ball (i.e. cavity in the bum of it) or a solid?

Minie.

1 Like

That’s what I used, with from memory (need to check) 60gr of FF. I found the expansion wasn’t enough with Bertram brass. Mooooooaaare powder I guess.

I think I put about 75gr in mine. Chamber is well oversized in mine so they end up oval. After first firing they now just get a 0.590” expander in them to round them out

think I need to cast my chamber… Maybe that could be a project.

So I decided to take a peek at the chamber and ordered some chamber casting alloy…

Measures 0.588, so I am guessing 0.59" mould would be spot on. Hrmmmmm.

@TheDude - any chance you would be willing to sell 25ish bullets from your .59 CBE mould, pretty please (before I invest in the mould)?

I have a feeling the chamber is not going to accomodate the .6 (X-ring) bullets.

Yeah no probs, can cast some up on the weekend.

1 Like

Please do.
Will pm.

@TheDude…Hi mate, how accurate is your 2 band Enfield ? Is it a repro, or? Just interested in accuracy expectations of the 1858 with the Minie ball.
Cheers

It’s a euroarms repo so likely 70s/80s made. I’m happy with it but not as nice as the newer pedersoli made ones.

It shoots well. Biggest limitations is my eye sight shooting irons but a few inch group at 50 is doable.

1 Like

Yeah I hear you on the eyesight front. I have one of these, it’s a total game changer with iron sights!

http://www.meritcorporation.com/products.html

1 Like