45 Colt Rifle Data.....

Just noticed the ADI site has no rifle load data for this Colt classic…I know its predominantly a pistol cartridge, but with more and more rifles being made for it…

Not even in the single action section?

Ahh didnt check that…got plenty of cast data in the Lyman cast manual…all I need really. The Rifle will never see a jacketed bullet anyhow…Just seemed strange with the amount of Colt rifles about

1 Like

They tend not to publish any more than “safe” pistol loads, just in case someone finds “rifle” data and uses it to blow up their pistol ( and hand ) with it.
Single action section is basically low pressure loads for rifles.
I’d have to go out to the gun room to see what I loaded for it, but it’s pissing down rain and I don’t wanna get wet. :grin:

1 Like

ADI aren’t making pistol ammo (except Trailboss) anymore so it’s a moot point anyway, sadly. Alliant (the only other pistol powders available in Australia in useful quantities) have revolver loads for .45LC which would work in a modern lever-action rifle.

1 Like

My Lyman Black powder manual has lots of BP loads for the colt…as it was originally a BP cartridge…looks like I might need some FFg

Interesting 35gns of 2F achieves the same velocity as 5.3gns of Trailboss…im thinkin Trailboss…

Makes for an easier clean too mate.

1 Like

Speaking of BP, did you know that ADI published Martini Henry load. Like wtf of all the things…

1 Like

Now that I look at it and coincidentally I have been throwing high velocity bricks at baby dinosaurs in low orbit with my 45-70, this looks suspiciously like 45-70 trap door load data :thinking:

1 Like

Yeah im saving BP for the smokepole

Centreway has some I think.

1 Like

20220629_125317
My first ever 45 Colt rounds! Lyman 250gn cast, on top of 5.3gns Trailboss…Getting excited!

1 Like

Now if only you could learn to use a camera :smirk:

1 Like

His other hand was very occupied with his excitement.

2 Likes

Yes it was a quickie

There were actually smokeless (well, Cordite) Martini-Henry rounds used during WWI. I’d be interested to see some Trail Boss load data for 577/450.

Actually, I’d like to see some Trail Boss on the shelves again, but that’s a different matter entirely.

1 Like

Guys in my club are loading it in 577/450, well when they had some TB.