44 Remington magnum - load data (fav. powder)

Since there’s another yummy thread on a now sold 44mag rifle… I thought I’d ask…

For all 44MAG lovers out there, what’s your favourite powder for the chambering?

I used to use, still am, 2205, however ADI has screwed the pooch, the replacement new powder is not available and I am fairly certain 2205 is no more.

Tail Boss has its place. However, that place is not inside a 44MAG case :slight_smile: I may try max loads out of 4" M29. Might work very well in a short barrel, but, I am going on a tangent again.

The question is, what’s your favourite powder for loading 44MAG?

What a bloody coincidence, I was just having the same searchy because my 2205 is almost empty.

RE: Trailboss. It has its place behind the absolute heaviest projectiles you can feed and fire safely with enough powder headspace that trailboss requires. That’s the best thing about subsonic, really all subsonic has going for it. Getting the highest weight to travel 1100 flat. Now a ~400gn hardcast in 44 mag…Im thinking W296 for me. Or LilGun if more spice required. I have a new Chronograph coming from US&A soon, so Ill have some data for you.

I shoot 200gr and 240gr pills. and not interested in subsonic in that calibre. Usually, 240, but I just happen to have 200, so tht’s what’s getting shot right now.

Will need to investigate W296.

2205 and trailboss. Killed more stuff with tb loads though

Good morning el pistoleros.

thought I’d restart the thread.

I am playing around with 44MAG loads - 4" barrel. Last 2 I shot, was like going on a very aggressive roller coaster ride. Not too bad for funsies, but competing with them, a little unrealistic.

Wondering what bullet weight and velocity you guys are getting from revolvers.

Not a revolver shooter but have used revolver loads in L/A for accuracy. 6.5 gr of AS30, mild as, accurate to boot. ADI single action pistol load data.

1 Like

I think the title is going to have to change from fav powder to be what powder can be used?

I am thinking perhaps BM1, 8208 or 2206H will have to find out the hard way. I still have heaps of powder being a bit of a prepper but I keep an eye on the store and there is very little available of nearly everything esp primers. I suppose rifle primers can be used in pistol cases? Again time to try and see what happens.

Rifle primers can, back off about 0.2gr on the powder though and work back up, but I suppose that depends on the powder.

Pistol powder situation however, mmmmmm, yeah…

I tried rifle primers in .38 spec and the sat proud.
Are the pri.er pockets deeper on the .44?

I was of an opinion that you could, now you are making me doubt myself. Experiment and try with a couple I suppose… I could be wrong, for some reason I thought you could. Test…

Yeah rifle primers are too tall in my 686.
Thought Id show up the club with my 000’s of federal small rifle primers during the shortage. Nope I got shown up.

There ya go, I’m incorrect :flushed:

Small pistol and rifle primers are definitely the same size and are interchangeable in certain circumstances. Large pistol primer pockets are shallower then large rifle pockets, but if you ream them with the pistol pocket reamer, you can just get large rifle primers deep enough to work. @bentaz, if you ream your primer pockets you should be able to get the small rifle primers to work if your mainspring is heavy enough to set them off.

1 Like