3D printing for reloading

Hopefully it will last through recoil.

Yeah will be interesting. Not sure when I’ll be able to live fire with it. Had to use the chrony old school today as the other rifle doesn’t have a rail.

My printer chocked, and after you live with a 3D printer you can’t live without, so an upgrade was in order. That actually came some time ago, but as always one has to make it neat and their own.

Was looking for a good way to attach a print server to it (RPi), nothing I saw I liked. Everything involved a lot of screws and takin things apart… Meh, so as one does, I designed my own. And while at it, printed a camera mount. For those wondering, I run OctoPi with a web cam, so I can do things remotely.

Snag_38686584

Camera mount I found, the mounting rail I designed. All nice and neat and ready to be the new workhorse. It’s nice to be able to turn an idea into a physical thing!

Anyway, finished up with that last night while finishing another project. And then it was decided for me (although I wanted them too) that 515 magazines needed a coupler.

From about lunchtime to now, in between chores:

Had to iterate through with some draft prints…

Turned out alright, considering I started around lunch time. Now I need to swap out the filament and print it in masculine red to match my scope mount. Or black, because I don’t actually have red :confused: Trying to avoid reloading filament, so trying to think what else I could to use up the current spool. Maybe some reloading trays or something. Or a 22 tube-mag speed-loader, that will probably be the next project. Like Spee-D-Loader, but smaller with 10 round tubes, maybe.

5 Likes

@MaxJon it’s a Prusa Bear MK3S+ from 3dprintergear.com.au. Chalk and cheese between it and Creality. Prints with plastics, correct. I suppose your could get infused stuff like wood or marble or some stuff like that… I never used those. Some may need different nozzles or gears. I print mostly with PETG.

1 Like

It’s tougher than some, but not all. Probably worth watching some YouTube videos on comparisons… for 99% of my stuff, it’s perfect. Anything more than that and you start getting into heated chambers and toxic fumes. Definitely watch some videos though. You control infill of the part you are printing; you could be using shitty pattern with best material and get shitty results because you haven’t considered forces, etc. It’s a gentle learning curve though.

1 Like

Fusion360 is for design. For “driving” it you’d need a ‘slicer’ software.
I feel like we’ve been here before :slight_smile:
Help me get into/buy a 3D printer. - Reloading - Oz Gun Lobby

1 Like

Are your clips omnidirectional? Can you couple them with the followers facing the same way, or do they need to be pointing different directions?

any way…

Through various events I decided to upgrade my bench power control… So that’s what I did.

Previous and new models.
I ran out of filament through the print, so switched to black.

All off the bench now, nice, neat and mounted.

4 Likes

Alright, while I am on the roll…

Brass prep…

Started with this

and this…

And then I thought automation is the way, since I have a messed up drill thing… So we evolve to this

And this

And that was okay… Then I saw a nice brass prep station on https://thingiverse.com and thought, yeah, it’s time to go civilized.

So we print this

Then we get a few more parts

Put it all together…

And kapow!

Perfect little thing with a small formfactor. I like it!

7 Likes

You’re a clever cookie now, aren’t you! That looks awesome.

Very jealous after seeing all your goodies and the workshop. Wish I had the discipline to keep things tidy and have a place for everything and everything in its place.

1 Like

Ha! I have no space, hence it’s neat and tidy.

Could you print me some modular stock parts, if i had some cad drawings.? Very basic 2d cad drawings…

If it’s something small and you have a proper 3D model of it. I just don’t have the time to spend in CAD right now now develop models.

1 Like

Ok…i have a lot 2d sketching to do first, and that will determine, if i need 3d printed, or machined parts, alloy and acetal.

Typically, this is exactly why you’d get one… A lot cheaper to prototype using plastic… But that’s a pretty steep learning curve to learn how to model stuff in F360, but good for the brain, keeps them working.

1 Like

Yes tax write off for me too! Are you using F360 for modelling?

F360 - yep. Self-taught, A LOT of really good stuff on YouTube. It’s like what you are used to, like VHS, but on your computer.

1 Like

Yes i need to watch some. A guy at work, is very good at 3D modelling…years of experience…designs press tools that punch out fly bracing for houses, we sell to Bunnings. Some of these tools are very intricate, and $50k upwards in value! Using Unigraphics NX9…