310 Cadet - reloading, ejection issues

Yep. Bought loaded from Golden Flash in Maryborough.

Tapped straight out with a rod when I got home.

Since then, I’ve taken it apart and soaked it in solvent, cleaned and oiled the internals. See how it goes next time and bring the rod with me.

It wont be the rifle, odds on it will be the thin rim of the Bettram.brass, i believe…but i would have to see the rifle to tell. A lot of cadets suffer the se fate i think. When the rim is too thin, it allows the cartridge to move rearward, causing the case to wedge into the chamber. With a thicker rim, this wont happen. Im.of the belief, the only way to get a cadet running is to convert/tailor 32-20 brass to the individual rifle. Best thing i done.

Or give the chamber a damn good clean…or polish

1 Like

I must have shot 200 rounds by now (self loaded) of 310 using Bertram brass, no issues what so ever.

That’s not to say you are not right as well, @MaxJon, there’s certainly hit and miss QA going on there. I have a bunch of Bertram brass for various things… 455 Webley (@Nomis oh yes, I have one now) rim seemed to thin, but I took it up above milspec velocities with modern powder and it held up fine few firings, still going. The M1895 was absolute shit, a lot either split on FL sizing, or raptured on firing, rim too thick that caused cylinder jam. I ended up giving it all to someone for melting into different artisan projects. If anything, it was too thick… But 310 brass seems to be pretty good over a few firings now.

1 Like

Next time I want to play around I think I’ll disassemble it again and see if I can give the chamber an especially good clean.

Hopefully that, plus the cleaned internals will mean an alright extraction. If not, I’ll look into polishing the chamber if possible.

Could it be worn extractor that skips the rim? In which case, it’s not so much the brass, but if it was for argument sake, it’d be the diameter, not the thickness?

C’mon, you know you want it!

1 Like