22 Hornet....dead or alive??

I had a .22 Hornet/410g U/U once, great gun, fired 410 slugs really well.

Ah, old flames :pleading_face:

1 Like

I think you’re confusing ‘come back’ with people trying to actively offload guns on a second hand market. That to me suggests quite the opposite.

Time will tell…the cartridge will be 100yrs old soon! Its far from dead!

Fairly sure time has told.

It one of those ‘how longs a piece of string’ arguments around here that we’ve had with the Hornet, the Aught 6, .22Mag, .222 and however many others.
One could argue that the .223 and .308’s time has now come and gone seeing as the Yanks are moving to the 6.5 SVU, 6.8 NYPD Blue or whatever its called. I’ve had people rage-quit because they couldnt punch me over my claims that .22Mag is dead or atleast the most pointless round you can buy.
I shoot .303, .222 rimmed, 7.7x54, 16ga and 2.5in 12ga, all dead calibres. @juststarting shoots more dead calibres than anyone i know!
We’re a very small sample (OGL) of the shooting community yet we have multiple members who reload 577-450 and Snider, two definitely dead calibres.
I’d love a .22hornet in an SMLE or Cadet.

Those are not mutually exclusive… True, I shoot shit that’s so old I have to kobble dies from different sets just to make shit go pew. Absolutely fun and love them. But, still dead cartridges :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes im waiting on a Martini Hornet, but i think i will go with a bolt repeater eventually…Missed a couple of M24 smle converts, but something front locking would be better for brass life of the Hornet case, i think.

1 Like

Stop this foolishness, @MaxJon. Let me tell you what you need! What you need is a Tactical CZ 515 and rechamber it to 577/450 Martini–Henry. :crazy_face:

1 Like

God, the fouling on that would be nuts. Can you load 577/450 with smokeless at all? Or only BP?

Go Hard Or Go Home GIFs | Tenor

1 Like

In all seriousness i just need that BL22 for cheap trigger time!!

No reason not to load it with Trail Boss.

1 Like

I scoured long and hard today at the Ballarat gun show…not one Hornet case, or loaded round to be found!!! Only a set of dies! Why is it so?

I am sure I’ve seen some at Recoil… Can’t be certain, but pretty sure…

Maybe. He was at the show today…must be desperate, he usually whinges and moans Ballarat is not worth it…

First one in 2 or 3 years, any dealer would have to be mad not to.

Yeah maybe…

Had a mate here at the farm back in January. He had his young bloke with him and he was using a Hornet, ( in a nice CZ bolt action), to cull a few hoppers. I was pretty impressed with it’s performance under the light out to about 150 yds. I prefer my .221 Fireball but still, the Hornet worked well.

1 Like

I like the 221 FB, and 218 Bee also

You love the fireball so much you gave me the dies