22 for night vision

It’s always an option. But I draw a line at one bolt action 22. That’s enough. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry I am late to the party but I was pondering. Having not shot the Ruger but having shot the A22 and it is certainly Sub Bunnie Brains out to 50yrds and probably a lot further, just the drop might be an issue. But that is going to be exactly the same for both rifles.

I would go with the A22 I know you can get a lot of muscle memory happening for the bolt action but really the A22 is just easier esp once the release is loosened up.

I dont think you need to worry about the sound of the bolt snapping shut. It is a lot less than the gun fire half a second before. You could probably just about release the bolt by the time the sound traveled that far.

The rifle wont move much if you are shooting off a bipod and rear bag. Go with the A22 at least the first night I dont think you will regret it. Only downside is loading the magazines they are a bit fiddly. Buy a few more is the answer. I picked one up for $60 if you see any cheaper let me know. I wouldnt mind a few more, or a long one.

Ooo we have a contender. Damn. Choices. Firstest of the first world problems.

While I find the A22 pretty accurate a comparison that may be valuable is the firing mechanism.

In a bolt action gun in most cases when you close the bolt you cock the firing pin backwards about 5mm the spring is already under some tension. so when you pull the trigger you just have the weight of the firing pin moving forward 5mm and then coming to a stop.

In comparison in the A22 you have a firing pin that is under spring tension and then it is pushed back to a horizontal position the axis of the firing pin is about 2.5 cm this then slams a full 90 degrees to the upright position hitting hard on the back of the bolt and the firing pin mechanism inside the bolt.

There is a lot more mass being moved in the A22 a lot more motion and the hammer stops with quite a slam.

This is probably one of the reasons semi autos are not quite as accurate. The follow through is going to be more violent. I am sure a lot of that can be overcome with skill but as a base line there is going to be more movement in the A22