Winchester 1892

I never shoot 38s from my 357 rifles. It’s just too hard. Just shoot what it’s supposed to shoot and don’t skimp on the powder :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it’s a sales pitch for some…38 special…not as special as the MAGNUM!

I honestly don’t get it, it’s just such a neither here nor there round to shoot from a rifle… Handguns, very fun round. But rifles, just meh.

1 Like

I ran one box of .38s through my 92, negligible difference in recoil but fed terribly.
.357 mag all the way.

1 Like

I always figured the “Can shoot .38s!” thing was really more of a “Well, if that’s all you have, it’ll work” thing rather than a “I’m going to go and buy .38 Special and run them through a lever-action rifle!” thing.

As others have said, it’s so cheap and easy to reload .357 Magnum you’re better off doing that and using a reduced powder charge if you’re plinking with the rifle.

To me, it’s a bit like running .22 shorts in a .22LR, or .22LR in a .22WMR, sure they will fit and fire, but why would you???

2 Likes

It always amuses me when I see rifles stamped with “Chambered for .22 S, L or LR ammunition” and I’m like “Who on Earth uses .22 Short for anything? And last time I checked .22 Long ammo hasn’t been available for decades”

I think it’s pretty much…if that’s all the ammo you have… it maybe upto the task, or will suffice…Anyway…what about 1892 Winchesters???

I present the Rossi M92 Citadel
I am both disgusted and aroused

I’m actually tempted. Be a nice offsider to the classic Winchester
Pop a red dot on there , maybe a little torch, cool rig.

Hrmmmm

Same as the Henry Big boy X…but the Henry would shoot better…but bigger price tag too!

Interesting…has a load gate and side eject…

It’s close, but if I went down that dark path it would be full aluminium mlok or nothing.
The thought of doing that to my 45-70 makes me cringe

1 Like

I like the tacticool of it, but I just cant suffer the plastic stock…

Dad would only let me wander with a few shorts after rabbits until I turned 12.
That was with a single shot BSA.

I am currently in the market for a lever in 357mag and have been considering the Win 1892. Also thinking of a Marlin so I could put a small scope or red dot on it perhaps.
Will also give me another cartridge to cast for which has become my latest addiction.
Anyone here have or prefer one over the other?

Get a Henry. :slight_smile:

Also research “Marlin jam”. Happens in pistol calibre Marlins. Speaking from experience. If you’re going to get a Marlin, grab an after market ‘improved lifter’ just in case.

Personally, between the two, I’d get a Winchester, because it’s light and 357 in a rifle is amoebic. Marlins are tanks. I have a 44 and I love it, but in 357 I’d go with something lot lighter.

2 Likes

Thanks mate, I shall look it up. :+1:t2:

I see the Winchester 1892 in 357 comes in either a short or a carbine. Pros and cons?

Depends what you like :slight_smile: Doubt you’d get any more or less accuracy from +/- 1.5"

I have a 16.5" Henry, I like that length A LOT! 18" is okay I guess, but there’s just something awesome about this small rifles. You ain’t going to get much from extra 1.5" (unless you’re @Brett, in which case it’s a 149% increase). I mean, they are not exactly precision instruments.

1 Like

A find a little wood gives me a little wood.

2 Likes