Sighting in 22lr for Pest/Small Game Destruction

My favourite type of gun is one that hits where I aim it!

A mate brought over a 22lr and 22wrm to sight in yesterday. Both levers. One a Henry octagonal barrel (magnum) and the other I am unsure of make as I didn’t look that close. He inherited the rifles from his Father in Law who recently passed away. Now Al probably enjoyed owning the rifles more than shooting them but they were both SO far out of true for both of us, it just wasn’t funny. Fair enough. We got the 22lr on the money at 25 after some HUGE scope adjustments, then move back to 50m. My mate put a few rounds at a target and it was 2+" high but pretty much on windage. I didn’t think it should be that high but fair enough, we adjusted it down… then it was shooting about 2-3" LEFT, again. We had just adjusted it from shooting 3" left and 2" low at 25m!!!

All that and quite a few fail to eject and a fail to feed…
We’re going to take a better look at the rifle next weekend but these are certainly NOT my favourite kinds of rifle.
The 22wmr was ok but still…

Sounds like it needs a good clean. People generally don’t clean levers well… Take the side plate off or lever pivot screw out, whatever lets you get inside the action. Grab a toothbrush and a pick and start getting the grime off the feeding ramp and rear of the action. Off top of my head, it’s either grime or…

Option #2: this is a little bit more annoying. Something I’ve noticed with older 22s, they don’t like some ammo. Try something else, like a classic 22 round so to speak, instead of something like Remington gold (bucket-o-bullets) that has ridges on the bullet.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips. My mate said he had cleaned both in the morning but he has as much idea about levers as I do… none… I’ll suggest he clean the action with the side plate off.

The erratic accuracy may well be a scope issue. It was a pretty crappy old scope (Nikko). The way it was set up, I don’t think Al was too worried about details. It was in very high mounts, low comb etc… leading to cheek weld and parallax issues. Scope could have been set forward more to give better control over parallax. The difference in elevation was probably from us both ‘mounting’ the rifle differently but the erratic swings in windage… still day…

I should probably move this to the 22lr sighting in thread…

AND… moved.