Remote controlled target

20220719_194937_1

Also can do turning targets for pistol. Wish i was smart with a computer. I could use encoders and crap to get routines automated.

20220719_194937_1_1_1

5 Likes

Then you could make a robotic arm for it and make it fetch beer from the fridge.
I’m an ideas man…

2 Likes

Could have a stubby cooler that reads the volume of the beer with temp then triggers the fetcher. I might get a little robot for playing around with after this.

2 Likes

We should put a proposal to the gubbermint to fund us as a “Think-tank”, 'cause we know stuff…

2 Likes

Defence Dept R&D portal. Never ending piggybank lol.

3 Likes

Nothing super exciting but steel is ordered.

4 Likes

Great project, mate!

Got iron. Will get the fox hung sometime this week i recon.

4 Likes

That is magnificent sir. Some clever engineering. Looks simple and robust, easy to maintain. Very good effort. I hope it works well in practice.

1 Like

Had to be finished when I’m not going bush for another 4 weeks due to state titles.

Still want to sort out the hangers though.

20220914_185231_1

I also learnt a very valuable lesson. Unless you want 200kg of hardened steel flying around your shed with no way to stop it, make sure the remote is always on BEFORE the target. My hose reel copped the brunt of it and nothing else luckily enough. I was nearly getting control back but was pretty wild.

4 Likes

Uh, I see the robot uprising has begun.

1 Like

Im going to put a pull string to the Isolator some how.

It’s too late, it knows what freedom tastes like, it won’t let you now. You’ve doomed us all.

1 Like

That is a shit hot piece of work. Well done would love to have some pot shots at it. Perhaps not with the car in the background.

Tested the robot this weekend. Went as designed. Got 500m range from the controller. This was before the shrapnel damaged the antenna. After that i tucked it behind the back plate. This did show promise though as we still had 250m of range with it being behind the plate. Will put the short antenna on and do another distance test to confirm how far we can get with it hidden behind the steel.

Might have to consider some dust proofing for the controller. Was covered in dust and grass seeds.

Driving it from distance was pretty hard so will try and get a camera on it some how. My drone only had a 15 min flight time to watch the target. Was easy keeping on track with that but 15 min of flight time wasn’t really practical.

I colour coded the sides to know which way it was facing, this helped also.

This is the aftermath of day one.

I do have some video but not sure how to post it as i don’t have any hosting services.

2 Likes

The top plate looked cool after 2 days of shooting

3 Likes

Try placing the antenna behind the plane of the target as you can see on your base plate all the spalling from hits on the target spray out in a very close angle to 90 deg from the target.