New to casting any hot tips (and 310Cadet notes)?

Same as you mate, had a little bit of unburned powder with the loads I tried today. They did actually shoot ok though.

What do the primers look like?? Flat?? Unburnt powder is an indication, you need more powder. …I will be starting at 9gns of 2205 with my CBE load development

Mate absolutely no signs whatsoever of over pressure. I went up to 9.4gn of 2205 today so will start from there and creep up to see how it goes when I do my next lot mate.

1 Like

Yes I think .2 increments are necessary with such a small case…your onto it!!

1 Like

Anyone tried Unique for loading the 310? Worth giving it a try?

1 Like

I have tried AP70N which
Is equivalent…3.6gns behind 120gn…pretty weak…2205 was better in my rifle

1 Like

Ahhh rightio thanks for that mate, I have a few tins of 2205 in stock so would probably be prudent to stick to the 2205 then.

Yep the 310 thrives on high case density, I have found…otherwise…unburnt powder, can result…
I have read Winchester 296 ball powder is a winner if you can find some…

Fortunately have a little bit of that left also. Thanks mate.:+1:t2:

To say I am a little bit excited is an understatement. I think a bit of wee come out when this showed up. Now to cast a few.

2 Likes

That should be fine with Bertram brass, but no good for converted Starline…Starline brass needs .309 plus heel for some kind of neck tension.

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be set by fl die, irrespective of brass?

Yep I am running Bertram brass mate, the 307 heel works a treat, can seat the projectile with out running them back through the sizing die. The mould I had was the 314 heel which required the aforementioned. Just a slight flaring of the case mouth required with the projectiles from my new mould and they seat nicely.

1 Like

The Bertram brass is approx .010" wall thickness…Starline is only approx .006" Its quite a bit of difference.

1 Like

Anyone have a number for case trim length for the 310 cadet.
Nothing in the reloading data and everything I have read varies from 1.061” to 1.120”.
I read 1.075” on a Milsurp forum, which I tried and loaded up a dummy round, with the cast 120gn CBE projectile which fed and extracted ok.
Virgin Bertram brass that I measured varies from 1.080” upwards.

1 Like

Its very much chamber dependant…My rifle like s 1.100" trimmed and converted 32 20. Also a thicker rim of .050" which eliminates poor extraction…Cadets dont like a thin rim!

Thanks mate. I shall think on it.

Shot a few loads from my cadet at the range last week starting at 9.0gn up to 10gn of AR2205.
Whilst the accuracy was not super I did find the unburned powder issue seemed to disappear at around 9.6gn and up and there were no pressure signs at 10gn.
5 round group was circa 3” at 50m which initially I put down to me however I also had a few shots out of my Marlin (open classic sights, not as fine as the cadet sights) and I shot under an inch at 50m.
I did have a more accurate load in the 8 grain range however too much unburned powder.
:thinking::thinking::thinking:

2205 seems to always leave unburnt powder behind. Try a tighter crimp on the lighter load. FWIW, it doesn’t seem to effect accuracy in my .44mag lever gun when using mild loads, but you know it’s there.

1 Like

Has been a while since I have done anything with my cadet, however I took her to the range yesterday and have her shooting not too bad with AR2205 and the CBE cadet mould as mentioned in the above posts.
I would be interested to hear from anyone else who is using 2205 in a cadet. ADI only lists loads for the lighter cast projectiles than the 125gn CBE mould with 2205.
As per advice given I have slowly crept up my loads until the unburned powder disappeared and load was accurate.