Milsurp ammo in Victoria?

Anything with pof I suppose. I am sure they would have 223 and 308 aka their military versions

Bloody POF ammo, might as well be empty cases for all the bang you get out half the stuff, or many seconds of delay! I’ve even heard the stuff hissing after I pulled the trigger! OK, enough rant about the poorly stored 303 that was around a while ago, the current production NATO and 303 POF is almost impossible to find here and they stopped making 7.62x54R years back. For easily gettable ammo, PPU is the best option from many retailers, the spam cans are now collectors items and it is unlikely we’ll see more imported but keep your eyes open anyway. I reload 7.62x54R PPU cases with 174g Hornady 303 (.3105") and have also loaded Hornady 308 150g SP with good results in MOST of my Mosins, but not all (the PU loves them). Due to the manufacturing variations it is advisable to slug the bore if loading for accuracy, but for general range shooting load the cheapest 303 or 308 you can find, HRBC is a good option for this and I never have fouling issues with any rifle I use them in, just clean with Ed’s as per usual, Cheers.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I load.

HRBC is awesome for all round plinking. As for fouling, I recon you are not looking hard enough, 100% you’ll get leading. Run a clean wet white patch through freshly shot bore and you will see fine lead dust. It’s not chunks, but it’s there.

You will always get residue of some sort in any used bore, but normal cleaning regimens are all I need to follow. I do clean after every shoot though, some folks clean when they think they need to, but not me, use it, clean it, put it away. May be months before that particular rifle gets used again, so I can’t afford a “clean it later” attitude. Even my comp guns which I know I will use within a fortnight are never put away without cleaning. Cheers.

Just to check. This means a 174 grain 303 projectile that is .3105 of an inch wide? And I need to slug the bore to see if my rifle has a wider or narrower bore, which will help me pick an accurate projectile?

to @Nomis yes you are correct Sierra, Hornady, Woodleigh ect all have different size bullets it the most Caliber where the Statement you need to try a few different one to find a projectile your gun likes to shoot.

As a LAFO everyone knows that you cannot sell ammunition so there are no adds out there advertising whats around. It is a case of getting to know a few old blokes or 303 enthusiasts and you may get lucky and give you an old ammo can full. I do know quite a few guys that have them. I don’t think any of them are going to part with any of them.

Not disagreeing, but like I said, you will always get leading and wire brush will not always get all of it out. Putting a few jacketed projectiles through it at the end of the shoot does the trick. Tried it both ways, seems to work well.

Had a peek in my can of milsurp trash or treasure, to see if I have some stuff and decided to take some snaps of some selective items :slight_smile:

Span can. Check.

Mine had an incident with what appears to be a paint spill in someones garage, before it found a new adopted home, but it’s mine and I love it.

Piece of F…something - check.

For shits and giggles have a handful of these little bastards, when Rebbel was selling them at $15 per box. I ordered a few :smiley:

@Nomis
I have some loose Albanian 7.62x54R ammo, I am happy to part with about 5 rounds :smiley:

You are a good person.

@bentaz see, I am a good person!

Thats only because he hasn’t gotten to know you yet, give him time.

3 Likes

So seems like the Mosin ammo I’ve posted in another thread is Chinese, ha! Definitely have 1 pack, but now I’m curious to see if I have more. Ooooo

images%20(5)

Nice, desirable! Do mean Vietnam era or later made Norinco? Either would be good to have a packet of. I once tried getting some of each maker, but ran out of reloads, and,well, y’know the rest. Still have a few variations though. Cheers.

That is the most honourable way to go!

My ammo doesn’t get stored, just rotated to the front for the next session.

1 Like

Ohh a full box of pof 303 ammo… I’ll but the while box will 1 big Mac be enough compensation for shit pof ammo :crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

That’s 2 boxes actually :wink:

Hmm if you want to get rid of them…might be interested.

I knew I should have gotten a bigger safe

Nah, I’ll hold on to those. Sorry.