INFO: Hearing loss and hearing protection (for shooters)

It is more complicated than a simple reduction. But true that if the current noise level is say, 130dB and the muff is a class 5 the reduction to your ears will be about 24dB. But the averaging is a lot more complicated.
For me personally I don’t wear muffs hunting unless say out busting lots of bunnies. Simply because I normally only fire 0 or 1 shots. However at a range muffs are a must.

Peak is not same as continuous sound.

1 Like

I live in suburban Melbourne, so range is both convenient and comfortable.

Same here. I am very well insulated, unless I’m hunting, then I don’t wear anything, but that’s a single shot in highly sound dampening environment :slight_smile: Though, lately, unless it’s deer, I’ll wear plugs.

Drink tea and stay calm

Wrong topic. :rofl:

Like other have said. Although i find the Peltot Tac 500 a bit uncomfortable at times. in the bush I have found they give me better hearing amplifying the quite sounds. They cant be too bad though as today I was wearing a thin beanie and had lost my hearing muffs looked around for about 10 min then realized they were on my head.:smile:

2 Likes

Drink coffee and brass prep :slight_smile: This should be on a sticker or something.

So I went to the range today, shooting my little bee farter and couple of lanes to my right dude shooting 45LC revolver. FMD! All of a sudden, BOOM! Like an echo or something… I doubled up on hearing pro! Plugs and electronic. May need to look for something more substantial I think. Damn that was a loud boom.

What class are they? To increase protection you can wear plugs too. Helps a lot.

I doubled up with plugs… Class 5 I recall… But I think I am going to look for something else. Maybe they are just too warn out.

Actually, I think they may be Class 4, but I i am pretty sure NRR 26, so class 5.

No, NRR 22 - class 4

1 Like

Class 4 for regular range work is definitely not up to it. OK for occasional shooting though provided nothing really loud near by. Get some decent class 5s. Then add plugs. The muzzle brakes can be a real problem.

@juststarting NOTE: NRR rating is a lower standard than Australian SLC 80
A NRR class 5 is roughly equal to an SLC80 class 4

www.howardleight.com/hearing-protection/understanding-ratings

They even tell you on the box of lazer plugs if you look near the bottom of the page.

Soooo, you have been wearing about class 3 muffs

Yeah, maybe. Although they insulated very well, other than yesterday once and when I’m surrounded by muzzle breaks, on which case I use plugs as well. But I’m general I’ve never had an issue with noise other than yesterday.

That said, I’m looking for better electronic ones now.

Suggestions?

Make sure they are SLC 80. Class5

Any suggestions for product?

I use these (head band) and find that they are perfect at the range. They are not cheap but worth it.

Also seen these while looking for mine, don’t know how good they are but have a 33db class 5 rating.

https://www.3m.com.au/3M/en_AU/company-au/all-3m-products/~/3M-PELTOR-Extreme-Performance-H10-Series-Headband-Earmuff-H10A-290/?N=5002385+3294400475&preselect=8709791+8711405+8720546+8720749+3293786499&rt=rud

1 Like

Here is a brochure from Howard Leight, it is all about their products but it does have some good information on hearing protection. All of their ear muffs and ear plugs have the class rating listed to make things easier. There is even some recommended for shooting in the sports section.

1 Like

The 3m Peltor 310 are SLC80 Rating
33 dB (Class 5)
So will be fine.

You do need to avoid the NRR rating, it’s a trap.
Try Protector Alsafe.
Or these. https://www.blackwoods.com.au/browse/earmuffs/brand-howard-leight/208640037/4294777866

Looks like they come in a class 5