Educate me: compound bows.

Hey!!!

Thanks for that. Will read tomorrow on the train. I haven’t lost interest, but it is delayed until I finish some of my projects. Decided to pull the plug on everything and just finish everything I have on the go. But I feel like I should come back to this soon, was a bit of a cool experience I’d like to explore a little more.

Btw,I’ve still got arrows from 20 years ago in use…woods too…

Recently got a compound bow and my proficiency is nearing a point to where i can start getting a few rabbits.

What’s the most suitable arrow head for them ? I see the blunt tips but do they work for body shots or do they have to be head shots?

Ahh sweet!

So every hunting tip will pass through a rabbit with ease even out of a 30lb bow. What happens afterwards is why you might choose a blunt head with or without grabbers (those little wings that look like springs). If the terrain has long grass the shocker/grabber is a great way to not lose your arrows which are more expensive than 50bmgs and they can even turn an arrow into the target mass if you just hit the edge of the skin. These grabbers can often be swapped out with blunt tips or trocar types that transmit the energy into a smaller area. The bigger blunts are great for head shots. The trocar style will transmit enough energy for body shots on the bunnies and will penetrate as far as the grabbers allow, but not pass through. Grabbers will also hold onto long grass and stops ground penetration so you can easily find your arrow if you miss. The wont protect against hitting rocks or trees which will break your carbon shafts.

If the grass is short and free of rocks, a regular blunt of your choice is a better more accurate option, or if you have a cheap fixed/expanding head you can use them too but they will do the expected damage and your arrow will go straight through and land in whatever is behind the bunny.

Whatever you do, practice with the head you are going to use and adjust your sights for it. You might have to do some paper tuning to get the right arrow weight/broadhead combo.

Whats your draw weight and length? Im text book 70lb and 30 inches so everything works easily for me :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

If you still like a bow, get the PSE Drive. Easily the best first bow for anyone.

These guys have been looking after me with support for a decade. Wonderful crew.

2 Likes

Cheers for the advice. I was looking at the solid winged blunts (ha, blunts) like these Titan Thrasher Small Game Head 3pk (AE3394) at Archery Essentials - Perth, WA archery shop for Bows, Arrows, Bowhunting gear - Archery Supplies Australia

The guy set me up with a 31" draw length and left it at 70 pound weight. Actually pretty happy with the shop, he spent near on an hour with me going through the basics and teaching the proper techniques and live firing out the back. I was kinda expecting just to be given a bow and then head to the internet for advice.

It’s a diamond infinite edge pro. You can tell how much of a newb i was when i took the picture, i had the quiver upside-down :clown_face:

3 Likes

Cool Bow man.

31" draw length you tall fella! The weather is nice up here yes? Lets look down at all the manlets down there and laugh HA HA HA!
Let us know how those tips go compared to your target points, interested.

I have monkey arms.

What kinda release are you using ? Man I miss my bows!

Scott legacy wrist release.

I want to go to a thumb release just so i don’t have to strap it to myself each time i pick it up for a quick couple of shots.

1 Like

Try a back tension when you can takes a bit to get used to but the release is so smooth

1 Like

What @AusTac said.

The trigger releases are awesome in the field though. Back tension takes a lot of practice to make it automatic when your heart is pumping as you line up y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶n̶e̶i̶g̶h̶b̶o̶u̶r̶s̶ ̶c̶a̶t̶ a vertebrate pest animal. I love my TruBall but the couple of times I used it on ahem…vertebrate pest animal… I had no success and I know why, I haven’t practiced enough.

2 Likes

i never had good luck with my triggers, always got a bit jerky, to this day i’ve still shot more rabbits with my bow than all my guns, back tension was king but you’re right it does take a bit of getting used to, its a personal preference thing, i knew alot of good shooters using triggers

Therein lies the answer.
It don’t matter if you’re shooting the latest whizz-bang compound with sights using a mechanical release or a bare-bow recurve off your fingers, practice is the only way you will become proficient with a bow.
As a teenager, my practice was to set up a 1 litre milk carton full of sand out in the horse paddock and then walk away from it to a random distance, turn , draw and shoot. Walk off again to a different distance, repeat. It taught me to be an “instinctive” shooter and worked extremely well for me in the field. Any rabbit within 70m was fair game. This was with a 55lb recurve, no sights, no release aid.

2 Likes

When @danmac was a kid, blackpowder was just getting started :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Funny. I had a similar practice method in my early 20s but target was a beer can and when that got too easy I used a stick about an inch thick and a meter tall from about 30m. Back to target. Draw as I turn. Sight target and release immediately.
Never did any real hunting with it but miss shooting my bows. Maybe I need to buy a new one as my old ones are cactus.

Instinctive shooting is definitely my bag. Probably couldn’t hit the side of a hill any more…

Yeah, I’d love to get the bow out again. I’ve tried a couple of times but post surgery shoulders mean that 55lb’er is a no go. I’ve got an old compound, ( Fred Bear, the young’uns probably never heard of him :grin:) that occasionally comes out of the cobwebs. I’ve found that a 6’ diameter bale of hay @ 50m is a small target for me now.
@juststarting , blackpowder had been around for a couple of years before I was born,…cheeky young bastard!!!

2 Likes

Anyone see the American Paralympion drawing the bow string with his teeth, because he had no right arm?? He was inspiring!

2 Likes

I really like practicing with Lumenoks or other cheaper type illuminated knocks. Makes evening practice a breeze.

My uncle who got me into archery was a wheelchair bound quadriplegic after he was spear tackled playing rugby league. ( 1960’s ) He had very limited use of his right arm, that was it. A therapist 10 years after he was injured came up with the idea of making up a brace to hold his left arm and a bow, another one for his right wrist /hand that had a crochet hook built into it. We’d wheel him onto the line and he would get us to line him up with the target. We’d load the arrow and place the hook on the string. He had enough strength to pull the bow back ( 40lb ) and would twist his arm to release. We’d adjust his chair and the brace that held his left arm as directed. He was actually pretty good. It was great to see him out and participating in life again. Prior to archery, his life consisted of being parked at the bar at the RSL, he had a drink holder attached to his right hand and he would exercise one schooner at a time.

3 Likes