Doubts on buying another Sako

…or does it :wink: Lock them in and keep them coming.

It is if the only stock available is shit!

Yes Gwion my thoughts exactly .I would be happy with just a standard sako stock solid timber or laminated wouldn’t matter . But after what I’ve been told, like that rifle is a one off, it would be costly for me to buy a stock and find out it wouldn’t fit . You would think sako being sako they would keep all the rifle stocks interchangeable so people could choose the type they preferred. I have never liked the synthetic stocks and this one proves me right so fa,r but I bought the rifle anyway even though they said it only comes with that stock not timber . I think the Roughtech Pro also only comes in a synthetic stock. I’ve been thinking long and hard and talked it over with the mrs and I wouldn’t mind keeping the rifle now rather than build one like I mentioned on another post as it does shoot well and I’ve worked up 2 excellent loads for it , the only problem will be the cost of finding a stock and having it fitted even if it had to be a chassis. do you know if a chassis would be easier than having a timber stock made and would it be easier to fit? I know it may be pricier but I was told it was easier to adapt to a rifle . There is also a bloke in NZ that makes carbon fibre stocks but they’re real light and i’d like to keep the weight up with the rifle as I like heavy rifles . I can’t walk around like I used to so most of my shooting is done from a vehicle.

Can’t answer your question about chassis as I have no experience with them and the way you describe the rifle construction sounds iffy as I believe most chassis are made for particular actions.

I’d be happy to stabilise the fore end for you as it is rather a quick job, even if fiddly. I couldn’t bed it because I just don’t have the time to do it well for you.

I really suggest getting onto Trekkin. He can copy any stock you like and copy your in letting for that rifle. He quoted me some very reasonable prices but I never got around to following the project up. Worth the conversation, at least!

Yeah mate might check him out .
Cheers

@anon19591382 The chassis route would be much harder if there is not something already existing. At least with wood it is easily workable. If there is this rear tang built into the back of the stock that is not so bad either. You could either remove the tang from the original and then glue it into the wood stock or build a new one and glue that into the stock.

Gluing may sound a little dodgy at first but nearly all the wooden target rifles have an Aluminum block glued into the stock under the action. The block serves as a way to perfectly bed the action and also has the recoil mechanism built in. Some just use a small hole and pin type arrangement for the recoil lug and some use a traditional type recoil lug. Some have the action glued directly into the stock. The perfect bedding job, but not very practical in my thinking.

Thanks for that sungazer

The problem with the A7’s is that they are a hybrid between a Sako and a Tikka, and basically the bastard child. Most likely specced by the marketing department not product engineers and they are built to a price, not a standard.

Whereabouts are you located?
I have a good mate in S.E Qld that is a stock maker, can do pretty much any style you want in any grade of timber, to fit any action. My last stock that he made was in XX walnut, custom shaped and sized, in-letted for a commercial '98 Mauser action, fitted and bedded, (I just did the finish sanding starting with 400grit ), all up cost $550. He recently did a really nice one for another mate for a 1215 Martini .22, very nice timber, pretty much finished,( just needed oiling or whatever ), cost was $350 from memory. Of course, standard grade timber lowers the cost.
If something like that would suit, let me know and I’ll P.M you with his contact details.

1 Like

I have an A7 and it shot well straight out of the box. Being an entry level Sako, it appears to be a Tikka with a Sako stamp on it. Nevertheless it is a nice bit of kit.
Whilst it is a great rifle, I have a CZ557 out performs it accuracy wise. In saying that I have a Ruger American Ranch which shoots equally as well yet was 1/3 the price.
After owning one now for a few years, I am not sure that I would spend the extra dollars on a new Sako when plenty of others seem to perform equally.

1 Like

Lots of pics of the t3, a7 & 85 side by side for comparison… enjoy.

Great comparison, thanks mate. :+1::beers: