Does Starting Somewhat Handicapped Increase Long Term Skill?

So that red dot is a classic example. Train yourself to aim at the centre of that red dot, rather than just aiming at the dot.
Good start.

Oh yeah, so aim to get the crosshairs lines up perfectly with the edges of the diamond so that the mid point is dead centre of the dot?

Makes sense, cheers.

2 Likes

I would aim at a corner of the red square

1 Like

Wherever you aim, make it a very specific point, rather than a general vicinity.

1 Like

For the main part I would say yes this is true. It is not so much the rifle that will change the ratio at longer distances but there are more external influences like wind and mirage that will open up the groups at longer distances.

Awesome, yeah that all makes sense. I’ve had a mate claim he’s made .5 inch groups at 200 with a .223 and I wasn’t sure how realistic that was.

Also - Am I right in assuming that rifles from the cheaper end such as a Savage or Howa, all the way through to more expensive brands such as Browning or Sako - are just about equally accurate, and on the higher end you’re mainly paying for feel and better quality material stocks etc.?

I think at the cheaper end it is more likely to have differences between individual guns of the same manufacture and model no. Typically the more expensive guns are more consistent in every way fit and finish and from one gun to the next.

2 Likes

Its 90% marketing. Just buy a fucking gun a learn how to shoot. Come back in 200 rounds and tell us how you went, and what you felt.

Still have a little over a week until my 28 day waiting period expires.
I’m just gathering info in the meantime and a lot of this info has been extremely useful and influenced my decisions quite a bit.

I don’t know if the 28 day period started when I submitted the Online Form or when LRD received the hardcopy and supporting documents, which was 4 days after I submitted the online form. Anyway, I’ll either be good to go on Thursday or Monday.

However, in the final step where you’ve been approved but have to send paperwork back with a photo for your license etc. - Do they give you paper that’s effectively a license until you receive the card, or do you have to wait until you have the actual card?

technically you have to wait for the card. The paper actually says this is not a license on it. However you are still able to purchase a gun without the card license the gun shop can access the PTA online. They should sell you the gun based on the PTA you cant have one without being a license holder.

1 Like

I see, I sent my PTA off with my license application, so that’ll clear before I get the license. I’ll just wait until I get the card.

Edit: Oh wait, you’re saying I can purchase with the PTA whilst my card is pending. But I can’t shoot until I have the license?

Firstly, the 28 days starts from when the received your application.

Once you have the paper you can purchase a firearm but you will need the physical card to arrive before you can walk out of the store with it.

That is from my memory of doing it all almost 2 years ago. My how time flies!

3 Likes

Thanks man!

These days you submit an Online Form first and then send a hardcopy + supporting docs and points of ID. They received my online submission on Feb 25 and the hardcopy on March 1st, so I’m not sure which of those dates the 28 days starts from.

Looks like it’s actually 28 days + wait for card, so I guess I’m looking at the weekend after next.

Going back on (off?) topic, I noticed the Varmint doesn’t come with a scope rail but the CTR and super varmint do, as well as a threaded barrel on the CTR I believe and an adjustable cheekpeice. Is this worth the extra $400?
I just figured that by the time I buy a Varmint and put a rail on it, I could’ve had a CTR/Super Varmint for a few hundred more.

My Vic licence when I applied about 8 years ago took more like 40 days to process, but the paper licence worked to buy guns or ammo until my plastic card came. There was no online stuff then so you just had to wait till the post man put it in the letter box.
Back to the point though it’s a minimum of 28 days, not always that quick though.

1 Like

I got a nice surprise. My card came in the post in record (short time) time. I dont think I have ever got mail that quickly.

1 Like

Perfect for you.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s a very good buy

Thanks, I was looking into the Athlon Argos but this Vortex is a solid deal.

Yeah, I have one myself. Otherwise Id have two :slight_smile: