Considering a lever in 30/30

While I don’t own either of them I have shot both and like them both but they are very different.
If you shoot a pig with a 30-30 and are slightly off the vital spot it may run and you might not find it, shoot it with a 45-70 and it should be right where you seen it lol.
The big difference is bullet weights, 30-30 go from about 100gr up to 170gr or so, the 45-70 goes from 250gr up to 500gr.

if you are happy with the extra bit of recoil and are going to reload for it i would say get the 45-70.

2 Likes

Have plenty of lead so would get into casting for sh1ts and giggles later down the track too mate. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Yeah mate would be reloading, have never fired anything like it before, 300WM biggest rifle I have owned and fired, so not anticipating any problems with recoil given I am a 120kg.:joy:

1 Like

Pro tip: Don’t fire a .45/70 off a bench. :face_with_head_bandage:

1 Like

Pffft. N00b

3 Likes

I actually watched something on yutoob today and a bloke was complaining when he fired one off a bench. Much different In recoil to a 300WM in your opinion? That’s the biggest rifle I have fired. Have fired .50cal however that was a machine gun so not quite the same.

I have not shot a 300wm but I have shot a bunch of big stuff in both bottle neck and straight wall cases. The two are different, in general bottle neck rounds kick hard, fast and violent, whereas straight wall cases rounds are more of a slow push / shove in the shoulder.
I’m sure there’s exceptions but in general that’s my experience.
That’s from shooting shit like 30-06, 300wsm, 416barret, 50bmg vs 45-70, 500nitro, 50-90 and stuff like that.

2 Likes

That’s a pretty good description, actually. Straight wall cartridges, at least to me, feel a lot more snappy. Depends on how an individual feels recoil though. For example, 45-70 (sane 45-70 cartridge for modern rifles) I can plink with, but 44MAG off the bench rattles my jaw lol 308 I can plink with all day long, but similar charge in K31 really doesn’t like my shoulder. Guess it boils down to individual and shape of the gun, maybe?

2 Likes

Yeah prob a few variables in there mate. I am a fat faaarker so shouldn’t bother me to much I am hoping.

A mate had a current vintage Marlin in .357mag, had nothing but trouble with it, and I think the warranty was shit too, from memory

That’s why I like the old guns…but guess we have to have a plastic fantastic in there somewhere…

I have a win mod 94 AE with skinner peep sight on it , awesome! I love it! :hugs:

1 Like