Case kicker for reloading press

V1.0 lol

Looks really good, I will be keen to hear how it goes when your running it for real.

@GUN-DMC
Tomorrow… Big batch of cases to de-prime and size, will let you know :smiley:

Dug through my ‘decade of cables’ tub and found a couple of power supplies that will run this, so will report then.

So far I’ve got everything connected mounted to existing ‘infrastructure’ shall we say. The shoot/case catcher - that’s going to require some thinking. I dropped by my oldies tonight and picked up a pair of straight and curved metal cutting scissors, so making the shoot is not going to be an issue. Just need to figure out how to mount it without making extra holes.

…I have also learnt that my soldering skills are not as bad as I thought they were. By that I mean, it looks like shit, but sticks and heat-shrink tubing hides everything.

1 Like

Well, here we learn a lesson in edge case testing. Kicker works great with 357 and upwards (@GUN-DMC) . This is the combination of the shell holder and the diamter of the case body.

Kicker does not work with 9mm brass. Just no way to get it to the brass, without a longer solenoid punch. Bummer!

Could you get a block of rubber, like a pencil eraser maybe and drill a shallow hole in it so you can slip it over the solenoid for a little more reach?

Its also a case of the solenoid length of pull but if you use a lever type design you will get a lot more.
Not mine but I may be doing something like this. ATM I am using a straight pull. I put a 3mm nut in the middle of the arm and used a long 3mm bolt so rather than bolt pice of work to it it was just a pin from one side deal.

Is that on an annealing set up?

1 Like

This one is mounted on the opposite side of the pin, @sungazer. Means that whoever is doing it will need to run power to it most of the time. It will get bloody hot. I’ll see if I can think of something with lever.

Yes I am in the process of building a couple of Annealing units. The woodwork and mechanical parts are the hardest. A few electronic mods as well have helped. I will do a post when I get them finished and I will have to take them apart to get a few photos as well as I never take photos as I am going. I get to into what I am doing, posting about it is never in my mind.

@juststarting yeah I saw you were using the back end. It is actually the exact same solenoid as I chose for the trap doors.

Yep, I wonder how hot they would actually get with constant power on.

Sorry I cant picture the action, but if its just to kick a case why don’t you put a timed relay in the circuit. That way the micro switch activates a relay that powers the solenoid for say .5 of a second instead of constantly on?

At some point it’s cheaper to buy then to make. Adding a relay is my point. Also the rhythm of it all, too much tinkering.

You could use an indicator relay from the wreckers $3?

My time and fiddling. As much as I like doing it, I am at a point where I am over it. I may come back to it when I have more time, this month is just messed up time wise.