Buying VS reloading ammunition

@Gwion, yep I pretty much only hunt
But also need to check zero & sometimes a bit of fun with cast bullets. (forgot to mention that) but only rarely target shoot.

Has my gear paid for its self? I like to think so.

Having control to me is very important… And ability to modify the loads. I have 2 different loads for the 223. Normal and a light load. And 3 30-06 loads

1 Like

I maintain $60 will see you load very consistent hunting ammo, your list is way over what is needed to load a hundred or 2 cartridges a year. As for the Lee Loader, I personally know 4 hunters who use it exclusively, and 1 who still uses a Lyman 310 handtool to load 30/30. I hunted for 3 years only using a Lee Loader in 308 and a Lyman in 30/30, 303 and 8x57. With both of these tools I could load in the field of an evening. I never used calipers, trimmers, scales, chamfer tools, etc and lube was tallow, even butter once. Only after I got my Indentures did I start getting better (read bigger) reloading tools including a press, now I shoot so much I need progressives but I still have my Lee Loader and Lyman 310, and know I can still use them to make good hunting ammo, Cheers.

@no1mk3 this is a little of what I mean about I suspect that some peoples ammo is not as good as factory. If you dont have scales it is next to impossible to improve over Factory loads. The factory relies on volumetric measures and they have very, very good ones. I have weighed quite a few deconstructed factory loads for curiosity sake. Very good measurements. On the other hand I have tried the lee scoops into a good set of scales very inconsistent measurements. Again I have tried a few different methods people have spoken about on forums. The Lee powder thrower does a much better job than scoops. It is pretty good but still has quite a big tolerance with the occasional quite a large difference.

Actually, there’s a trick to that. Make sure to have consistent hand movement and, really important, don’t let the powder drop below 50%. At above 50% I found that it throws very accurately.

I found the same thing with my rcbs thrower, best to keep it filled up.

I gave up on the powder throwers and beam scales though i still have them. I ended up getting a Lyman digital powder system, not cheap but very accurate and consistent.

As someone who doesn’t reload (eventually but not yet :grinning: )
I think another advantage is reliability of source for eg I use ppu almost exclusively in my CF’s BUT it’s not always available in store. I’ve been waiting for two months for 222 rounds . Yes I can get other brands but they’re my second choice rounds not what I prefer to shoot. Hopefully that makes sense :beer:

1 Like

@Daddybang It can be the same reloading. There has been a huge shortage of some 6mm, 6.5 and 7mm Berger projectiles They are still pretty thin on the ground.

1 Like

I use thrower and good digital scales, but digital system is on a wish list.

1 Like

They are worth the cost.
I have the gen 5 and ha e had it for 5 or 6 years and has been fault free. You have to turn it on 30 minutes before you start reloading but I normally switch it on and then get everything else ready and off you go. (UPDATE: Just read the specs on the neweer gen 5 and it seems that they have reduced the warm up time to 3 minutes)

There is a new gen 6 out that is a bit cheaper but doesn’t have the same programming as the 5. If you load for multiple calibres or different weights for the same calibre the gen 5 allows you to store and name your weight preference so next time you just select what you want and push start.

I still check every 10 or so on a separate digital scale to make sure they are still correct.

3 Likes

So at what point you go, hrmm is cheaper to buy factory…

Well the price of factory ammo keeps up with reloading gear so there won’t come a point. $4 per 308 factory round, I’ll keep reloading.

1 Like

Yeah, i guess.

Holy snapping duckshit!

Jesus!! Where are you buying your ammo from? Winchester, Federal & Remington 308 is more like $2 to $2.50 here, unless you’re talking the top shelf match grade stuff which does get up there.

I hope that srller gets shit on by a pelican.

1 Like

My loads are 178gn eldm in lap brass, but check out the Hornady match 168gn price. 5 bucks each.

Even the federal match is $3.80 each

Have a scroll

WA prices

Pretty sure hpgs isn’t in westganistan

Really? 45c a primer?