Best Scope on a Budget?

I just found the Diamondback Tactical for $625 at Cleavers - far cheaper than anywhere else, even the barn.

Is there any reason at all to not get this scope?

It will do just fine. Good price, good mag, good brand. You will be happy with it. More than adequate to hone your shooting skills without any gear penalty.

1 Like

These are tough and useable. $1100 is steep unless its new. Heavy too.

I’ve got a DB Tac, but in 4-12 SFP, and for what I paid for it, it’s a good scope. Glass quality is nice, but nothing super extravagant, and the turrets have nice click to them when adjusting.

Haven’t really tried out shooting longer distances, or in low light with it though, so jury is still out on those categories.

I ended up getting an awesome deal on an Athlon Argos Gen 2

Thanks for all the info guys. I’m looking forward to seeing how the scope performs💪

3 Likes

Meopta - read up about them.

The hardest thing for my peabrain when buying scopes is the reticles.
It shits me when I find a scope I like, that ticks all the boxes, only to find it has an overly busy reticle that really isn’t needed. Sure some peeps like all that fancy pants hold over and ballistic suited stuff but I’m a simple man and I like a simple reticle.
Do I need all those lines and dots?
Correct me if I’m wrong here but for target work why would I need holdover?

For hunting yes but for target??

Really depends , the lines allow you to correct for wind etc without having to fiddle with a nicely zeroed scope. Dialling in is nice if the wind is consistent, but if it’s gusting it can get old having to constantly correct it. Also you may be shooting targets at variable ranges and learning your holdovers can be much more convenient than constantly correcting your scope. I’m a holdover guy.

1 Like

OK I see your point Supa

Windage I can understand. It makes sense

But what about bench work. Why do they make scopes with hold over for that. It’s constant isn’t it? Isn’t that the point of bench. Same distance, or if they change then you just click away on the turret to your predetermined adjustment and you know it’s going hit where you want.

Again, correct me if I’m being a dick. I am just a learner and going from my limited experience and readings

If you are sitting at a bench , plinking away at a set distance, going for super groups, you dial your scope in.

You may however decide to set targets at variable ranges, I do, a lot of people do.

I will set a paper target at 50m, 100m and sometimes 200m. I then set up gongs at 200m and 300-400m.

I shoot at little river which has a public 500m gong.

I will zero my rifle to point of aim at usually 100m. At this distance, on paper , I will go for pin point accuracy and tiny groups.

But for no real reason I will switch to gongs at various ranges, use holdovers, judge wind and hit gongs. I just like the sound.

At longer ranges, gong moa is good enough for me.

If I’m going for groups at longer ranges , I will dial the scope in at that range.

A lot of scopes, even expensive ones, can get a bit iffy when you constantly adjust them.
Definitely shortens their life span.

It honestly doesn’t matter in the end. Do it the way you enjoy doing it

1 Like

I too set up at different distances. Usually paper at 50, paper and a 4" gong at 100 and sometimes even whip out my 8"gong at 150.
That’s as far as I go out with my little 22.
It’s zeroed at 50 and I have a dope card for my longer shots
I do too love the sound of steel :slightly_smiling_face:
But I use my scope to adjust centre. I’ve never tried holding over.
I have a Bushnell AR with the ‘windhold’ mil reticle. It is simple enough for this layman.

Sorry mate, I’m not arguing just sponging info

What reticle do you have on your scope Supa?

Hi @TommyGun you are right about the competition aspects of a scope most I would say all competitors at BR and fullboar prone shooters adjust the scope to the distance that is being shot. The conditions are observed as best as can be and a condition picked perhaps the most wind or the least. The windage on the scope is then set for this condition. Holding off is done when the condition is just a bit one way or another different. Most Target reticles use very fine lines some shooters like a dot but this often covers the point of aim too much and then you have to frame the aim. The finer lines work well in the aim small miss small doctrine. The dots and thicker lines are still used mainly as most of the shooters are well aged and many have trouble seeing the fine reticles.
The reason that you see so many NightForce and March scope at these competitions is that they have proved over time that they can stand up to being adjusted continuously over many years. A lot of the other scopes will work well for a year or two but eventually need to go back to the service centre for a rebuild.

Just put a Nikko Stirling Targetmaster 4-16x44 on my Anschutz 22…looks nice n clear, and the focus is accurate to distance. See how its shoots on sunday…

3 Likes