Bad habits for new shooters to avoid.

The one Oldbloke put up is how I was taught as a kid to shoot rifles. Apparently some of the 303s were meant to be aligned differently

From another place but usefull.

USMC Gunny Carlos Hathcock gave us all a small piece of paper which he called his ā€œBibleā€. It consists of a credit card sized list of instructions for proper marksmanship. The tips were simply put as follows:

Body Alignment ā€“ Natural Point Of Aim
Firm Hand Shake Grip
Firm In Shoulder
Eye Relief ā€“ Spot Weld ā€“ No Shadow
Stare At Crosshairs ā€“ Target Is A Blur
Slow Steady Pressure On Trigger To Rear
Normal Respiratory Pause
Follow Thru

He claimed his Virginia Beach snipers were required to display it on request or suffer many pushups for failure to do so. I have carried mine every day since the day he gave it to me.ā€

Brian K. Sain, writing in the June 2001 issue of Precision Shooting magazine, about a class he attended taught by Gunnery Sergeant Carlos N. Hathcock II (USMC, Ret.).

2 Likes

Another trick I learnt, especially shooting off hand.
Lift your rifle
As you lift , place the front post on your target in relation to your eye.
As you lift the rifle and lower your head to the sights, by lining up the front post with your target, you will naturally assume the correct sight picture as you fully shoulder the rifle. Lining the rifle up early with both eyes open, with practice you will bring the rifle to bare in one smooth movement. This should put you in a position needing only a small correction.
Itā€™s a bit hard to explain in words. I hope that made sense.
Rifle up, line up front post, lower head while keeping post lined up, small correction, fire.

Gets me thinking this topic.
Iā€™ve taught quite a few people to shoot over the years. I think the number one thing I teach first to new shooters is actually safety. Not theoretical stuff, but live fire handling and procedures. Building good safety habits before we even worry about what sort of groups you are getting.
The fundamentals of good shooting remain the same for all disciplines.
Stability- good stance be it standing , prone or at a bench. Gotta be comfortable , balanced and solid.
Consistent sight picture- Everyone sees through a sight differently. Especially iron sights. Doesnā€™t really matter how you do it in the end as long as you can do it consistently.
Breathing- I like the bottom of the breathing cycle, some like the top.
Trigger pull - donā€™t get obsessed with lightening triggers. Learn to pull a trigger, then you will benefit from lightening.
Fancy gear, more expensive scopes, aftermarket goodies will never compensate for poor technique.
Trigger time- nothing beats actual shooting to get better at shooting.

And simply a lot of dry firing.
Which reminds meā€¦way over due for a bit of that myself.

1 Like

Is this the learn to shoot diagram? :rofl:

Slow down and shoot a crap load of 22 ammo at 25-50m. Get your groups close to within an inch; then ask Juststarting how you can tighten them upā€¦ :rofl::rofl:

Natural point of aimā€¦
Set your stance to address the targetā€¦ Look at the targetā€¦ close your eyes and shoulder your gun.
Open your eyes.
Are the sights close to target? If not, repeatā€¦

Stance, postureā€¦ what ever you call it. Point and shootā€¦

Last group I shot was about 150m wide :rofl::rofl::rofl: