Back stop ideas for private range

Going to inspect the place properly on Sunday morning, then talk to the bank next week.
Fingers crossed

Can do.
Where is it?
What size is the block?
Nabours?

I think that @no1mk3 idea is spot on, nice and easy to do and best of all should be able to get as many old tyres as you need for free.

Hold another plinkfest ad BYO shovel to help fill in the tyres. :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Place is a bit small for a pf, just somewhere to plink a 22 or sight in

It’s only a 5 acre block

1 Like

I am sure you will still get plenty of help filling in the tyres from here :wink:

I’ll be the supervisor. Dibs.

I’ll be putting these bastards to work for sure!

1 Like

As someone who owns a small block
if you have gravel / sand / clay /other you could have someone push up a big mound and sell off what you dont need for a backstop and cover your costs.

steve

2 Likes

The Sleepers dont take to well to repeated shots of a 308 just as an example imparting approx 2800J of energy. They chip away or explode away quite rapidly. I found even the 22 can end up splintering them apart.

Yeah tires would last a heap longer and I can get em for free.
I’m thinking, dig down a bit into the side of the hill, line it with tires and back fill the dirt into the tires

That sounds like it would work really well, might be worth driving some stakes in the middle of the tires.

Late to the party but some dude on another forum had success with conveyer belt from mining. Stacked it with spacers and it was an effective bullet stopper…from memory 5 or 6 layers stopped 308.

1 Like

It might be expensive but I think the only real stopper is 12mm AR500 that is hinged on the top and at an angle facing downwards. Of course it needs to be a really big piece or two as well.

All the mobile type of stuff wood, concrete, rubber just gets eaten up pretty quickly.

Really dirt bearms are the cheapest and probably the best at stopping the impacts, even those need to be maintained filling in the holes made over time.

1 Like

Dirt is also good for collecting range lead for your slugs.

1 Like