303-25 with cast pills

Got to roll crimp that shizz. Looks good though.

I trialled flaring the case mouth by running the case up into a 303 die until the pin just touched on the mouth then gave it a tiny bump, seems to have worked ok.

Yeah I need to play around with the die a bit, I have not used Lyman dies before.

Looks like the wife’s lip stick!

1 Like

…or dog’s shlong :slight_smile:

…STFU I know you all been thinking that.

Nope, just you. You really should get out more, you know…:grinning:

What do you guys think about the below attitude to data substitution?
It seems a bit sketchy to me.

Your 25-303 is a near twin of the .257 Roberts. The Roberts case typically holds 56 grains of water and a 303 case will hold 57. Your 303 based cartridge has a slightly longer OAL than the Roberts, meaning (presumably), it will hold a few more grains of powder (seating the bullet further out conserves powder space). Pressure wise they are also a good match since they both have a SAAMI pressure spec of 45,000 cup.

All this means, IMO, any manufacturer’s published load for the .257 Roberts should be safe in your rifle, and you could probably even work it up a few more grains and still be safe. You should be able to find lots of good load data on the Robets with any bullet and powder combination you can imagine.

I modeled your 25-303 cartridge in my modified Powley Computer. With bullet weights in the 85-100 gr range it liked powders that are on the medium-to-slow side of the scale. The sweet spot is right around 4895 and N135. To the slightly slower side, Varget and Reloader 17 would also be good choices. To the slightly faster side, in the range of 4064 and N530.
Reloads for 25/303 | The High Road

Seems pretty dodgy to me.

2 Likes

Similar to the Roberts but NOT interchangeable. Always load below Roberts data and don’t try to out do it.

2 Likes

Dans about right.
This type of comparison can be done but with due care . I would look for another cartridge to do a comparison too. Obviously start on the low side.

Edit. It’s mainly about projectile weight case volume & bullet type. e. g. Cast or normal.

ADI must start somewhere. I don’t think they have a “magic” calculation.

yeah I wasnt planning on substituting any data, there is plenty of data for the 6.5 Straymoor.
I just came across that quote and thought it dodgy enough to share.

The example you quote there Ben is one of my pet hates.
The writer doesn’t own or even profess to have shot one, but offers an opinion on how to load it, what it “should” be capable of and then plugs it into his “whizz-bang” load computer and dribbles shit about outcomes, FFS!

In contrast, I have owned and shot rifles chambered in .257 Roberts for years, put many thousands of rounds through them, you might say I’m familiar with the round. I have also spent considerable time developing loads for .303-25, never went down the reduced load for cast bullets path mind you. My comments were in relation to higher velocity, jacketed bullet loads.

1 Like

I have just ordered a .258 CBE 95gn cast mold.
I intend to use .250 savage cast data, from the Lyman cast bullet manual. I think the 25-303 is closer to the .250 Savage than the .257 Roberts. Really looking fwd. to casting for the quarter bore!

2 Likes

Good stuff mate, I can’t wait to hear how it goes.
Seems to be a resurgence of interest in the 6.5 Straymore, at least I’m seeing them sell on the used gun sites.

Sorry mate, I bought the mold for .25-303. Not sure what your referring to with the stay more?
Regards
MJ

It’s just an in-house joke that the 303-25 is Australia’s 6.5 creedmore

1 Like

Haha no worries! Great allrounder!

1 Like

Great looking rounds! Should have some 95gn CBE casts this week ready to load! Got Trailboss, 2205, 2207, and bluedot to try…think I will start with 2207 as I have data for it.

Today’s .25 cal effort, love how the bullet base seats in the neck portion of the case. It’s my poor mans OAL gauge haha
Progress

Shot 30 of these off, with open sights. About a 4 inch group at 100m. 15gns of 2207 was too low pressure, to form the case to the chamber. The cases were pretty sooty. Next try will be Trailboss, and a scope maybe.

1 Like