1st time reloading 45-70

What do you currently load for @Chittaba?

22-250 but all the case work has been done by my dad all I’m doing is putting in powder and projectiles. Then 9mm and .357 on my dads Dillion press.

Well, if you load for 357, then you know how to load for 45-70. Just add more powder :slight_smile: Literally the same process.

Size, deprime, prime, expand, charge, seat, crimp. Done.

One thing that’s not the same is that you’ll most likely need to lube 45-70 brass, while Dillon probably has carbide die. Other than that, just follow the same process.

1 Like

Thank you :grinning:

Can confirm, this is exactly how it works. I lube the cases with One Shot on the reloading block so I can do 50 at a time. Set them up, spray them with One Shot, go and make a cup of coffee, come back with coffee, cases are ready to go, and it’s loading time.

Will I need to buy a reloading block or Will the one I use for 22-250 work?

Uh, depends, check if it fits. If you have a universal one, you should be fine.

You’ll need one of these, .45-70 has a much larger rim diameter than your .22-250.

![Frankford Arsenal Perfect Fit No.8 Loading Block\ 180x108]
(http://westernfirearms.com.au/images/fapfrb8.gif " Frankford Arsenal Perfect Fit No.8 Loading Block ")

Frankford Arsenal Perfect Fit No.8 Loading Block
Frankford Arsenal Reloading
$18.00

If you have a calibre specific tray, I suggest a universal one like this:

It’s the only tray you will need…

That’s the one I use and it’s great. Handles everything you’re likely to be reloading quite happily.

1 Like

I prefer to use case specific blocks, especially when dealing with tall cases that use heavy for calibre bullets. I find universal blocks that have a lot of space around the cases tend to allow cases to lay over if you bump them, ( we all get clumsy sometimes ), having to dump a bunch of powder out of cases and start again because you bump a couple is a pain in the arse. If you can’t afford a couple of extra loading blocks, well,…I can’t help you.