Victorian Registry's (LRD) Covid 19 threat.

VICTORIAN REGISTRY’S COVID THREAT:

As many of you may have heard, the Licensing and Regulation Division of Victoria Police has announced that it will now reprimand, suspend or cancel the licences of shooters or licenced security guards if they are alleged to have breached the current COVID restrictions in Victoria and are issued a fine.

This follows previous similar ‘threats’ to shooters who get caught speeding under ‘aggravated circumstances’ (which includes driving over the posted speed limit), and their more recent behaviour earlier in the year of threatening - rather than helping - handgun licence holders unable to meet their participation requirements because of the restrictions.

The NSC is not here to just ‘talk’ about our problems: we act on them.

The NSC has sought preliminary legal advice and if you are a shooter or security industry guard who has had his / her licence affected by the LRD, please let us know what happened by contacting us at [email protected]

If we find ‘the right case’ then we’ll be commencing legal action in either the Firearms Appeals Committee (FAC) or Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) immediately and add to the list of actions against the heavy handed way that those in charge of the registry think they can get away with!

8 Likes

Got to love the way that they can keep coming up with ideas/ways to take our guns away but have no clue on how to fix the rest of the countries issues.

1 Like

I hadn’t heard this but it sounds like something they’d do - have you got a link to an official statement or similar?

@ShootersUnion there’s something with offical letter head floating on FB and some Melbourne shops have posted it… Too many separate reports to be a hoax.

There is a write up on the polices website.

https://www.police.vic.gov.au/firearms-industry-news

The official LRD/Registry statements are up on VicPol’s website and have gone out via email to all Victorian dealers and security industry associations. So yes its true!

NSC

1 Like

2 Likes

Thanks :slight_smile: It sounded right but having something official makes it easier to raise awareness :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Looks like the SSAA are going to join the fight for something for once.

If any SSAA Victoria members have been threatened with losing their firearms licence as a result of breaching COVID-19 restrictions, the Association would encourage you to contact State Office. The Association is ready, willing and able to fight unjust treatment of shooters.
Only the SSAA Victoria has the standing and resources to challenge LRD all the way to the Supreme Court if necessary. To do so, we must work with the right instance of Police acting beyond their powers and in a way not contemplated by the Firearms Act 1996. Any challenge we undertake must be convincing to the court.

Good, any action is good.

1 Like

About time, lol.
But good on them for waking up.

1 Like

The NSC is aware that two hours ago SSAA Victoria issued a communication that it is aware of cases where LAFO’s have had their licences suspended and or cancelled for alleged breaches of Covid 19 restrictions. SSAA Vic has in its communication indicated it is receiving legal advice and is apparently willing to engage in legal action.
Despite recent history between SSAA Vic and the NSC, the NSC thanks the SSAA for its announcement and expresses its hope that the two organisations will be able to work together on this issue in a spirit of goodwill and mutual cooperation to stop this newest attack on licensed shooters and our sport. We also thank Shooters Union Australia for its support on this matter and welcome their announcement to join in fighting this abuse of power by the Victoria Police Licensing and Regulation Division - NSC Executive Committee

1 Like

See,we can all just get along!:grin:

2 Likes

There should be alot more combined efforts between the different organisations because without it we are always going to be on the back foot when it comes to a head.

4 Likes

Based on past history i wouldn’t be holding my breath for SSAA to agree to any type of joint effort. I don’t think they play well with others. I could be mistaken and hopefully i am, but i doubt it.
Regardless it’s good to see they’re actually talking about making a stand for once.

2 Likes

I don’t think they are offering joint effort. They are just saying that if someone is pinged like this, they will write very strong worded letters on Facebook. Hopefully I’m wrong and hopefully we never have to find out.

1 Like

They’ll write a letter with a firm tone lol, wow bet LRD are quaking in their boots!

1 Like

SSAA Vic are fairly active, aren’t they? They’re actually in a position to bring it up in a ministerial meeting etc, right, surely?

I was referring to NSCs comment on them “working together with mutual cooperation” with SSAA. I very much doubt SSAA will be thinking the same way.

1 Like