What I did in guns this week.

Busy week for me. Bought a new, bigger safe, an IR scope for my fox rifle, and went to a club I’ve been meaning to get to for a few months. A great group of guys, I’m probably going to join up. Shot a round of sporting clays, and had a play with a Colt Army 45 and a Ruger 457. I think I could get hooked on BP…

Uh, it’s Thursday again! Lots of brass landed, but I am expecting a lot more next week. I caved and bought a second auto thrower. It had to be done. Bunch of PTAs I sent arrived and I am going to send them to a shop here. Ummm Yeah. Still under house arrest.

1 Like

Was in Ballarat so went shooting. Shot my first reloaded rounds. All fired no problem but of the three loads I tried, all shot the same. Not bad but no clear stand out. I’ve ordered some more projectiles and I’ll do up more loads and try again at a later date.

The far bigger surprise of the weekend was the discovery that my wife enjoys shooting shotguns. She’s shot .22s with me before but never shotguns and wanted to try one so we packed a 12 gauge and I showed her how it worked and she proceeded to blaze through a box of shells blowing cardboard boxes to bits.

Now she wants her licence and to have a go a clays!

9 Likes

That’s awesome news mate.

I did nothing this week other than order a couple of things off eBay.

Just a silly question but how did you do your testing?
What process did you use and did you have a bench rest or off of a biod?

And what gun / calibre are you reloading?

Target at 50 meters, three shots per load shot from prone with front rest. I’d rather do 5 shot groups but only had a limited number of projectiles as I bought sample packs. I have a larger pack of projectiles coming with which I’ll make up 5 round groups of each load

@bentaz this was 6.5x55 Swedish using Hornady hollow point boat tails. All shot equally and would be fine for plinking.

My true fear is that my shooting skill isn’t actually good enough to find the accuracy of the rifle if that makes sense?

I would push the target out to 100m and prone with a rest is good.
When I do mine I start with a clean barrel and fire my first lot of weights, clean the barrel between weights so that everything is done with the same conditions each time.

I:E 39gr, 3 shots, clean barrel, 39.5gr, 3 shots, clean barrel and keep repeating.

I use 147gr Hornady ELD Match with 41.5gr of ADI AR2209 and gives me the best groupings in my 6.5x55. The picture shows the 5 shot group, the base of the magazine, shown as a reference is 3.5cm wide.

3 Likes

Great to hear, you got the wife keen! We need more women in the sport! My wife was an almost anti, when we reunited, but now she loves the service rifle shooting!!

3 Likes

I went out this morning to sight in the red dot on my Berika.
It “was” a Hawke Vantage.

I say “was” because the piece of shit recoiled itself to bits after about 70 rounds, just clay loads not my slugs or anything.

At first I thought it was just the protective outer lens but the actual coated lens is on its way out too.
I’ll take it back to the LGS tomorrow as it’s only two weeks old and has only fired 5 rounds before today.

So I came home and pulled it apart and fitted the open sights again. I also stripped the gun down and got a good look at how it all works.

This arvo I took it for a stroll on my mates farm and popped a few bunnys

All in all a good shit day!

1 Like

Well that is certainly dissappointing. Something shaking loose I can understand, but that just self destructed. Terrible.

Yeah mate, not much chop, a real shame to because it was great to shoot with.
I’m hoping it was just a dud and they’ll swap it for another one at it’ll last. It was only a $200 sight but still :sleepy:
I may have to pony up for a vortex reflex sight, they tell me that even if I run that over it will get replaced if it stuffs up.

Today I learned the “Breeching choke” is probably useful in a hallway. And getting into one too.

It could’t put more than a couple of no1 buck pellets on a 1ft sq at 10m.

The IC choke however busts clays! Go Sulun!!

And how good are these aussie pegs? They are the best.

1 Like

Hrmmm, I opened my safe, I looked inside, I closed the safe LOL!

I had some questions, waiting for the please explain and club signatures, as of this week, all PTAs are either sent or at the shop. So that’s what I did, a little admin and what not :slight_smile:

Yep.

No “antiquing”?

No “antiquing”. LOL

I’m disappointed to hear that! :rofl:

Nothing really gun related. Went to a viking fefestival , bought a type M axe head,now working on etching an urnes style dragon into it.

5 Likes

I had a good experience at RF Scott today when I took the above red dot back, they offered to replace it, refund it or if I kicked out a little bit more they would make me a very good deal on a Vortex Crossfire.
I chose the Crossfire option.

3 Likes

Good decision. Also good to see the LGS come to the party.

1 Like