Which 22lr For Me? Info For the NEWBY & Real Rifle Reviews by Real Rifle Users

Review: Anschutz Mod.1450

I bought this rifle second hand for $350 with a nice little scope on it.
The fit and finish are excellent as you’d expect from an Anschultz. The gun is a tack driver using Highland Sub-sonics and easily capable of head shooting bunny’s all day long.
the only problem I’ve had with the gun is that the mag is a bit loose and sometimes doesn’t want to feed, I have no idea if the problem is due to the mag being worn or not the correct mag, but I’ve figured out if I rest the gun on my hand while I work the bolt its pretty good.
I have mostly used this gun when sitting on a warren, but It is also a good walk around gun, easy to point and comfortable to shoot.
All in all a great little gun for the money it cost.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Guy makes AR lower from old fired brass cases.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Guy makes AR lower from old fired brass cases.

A mate had a similar issue. It’s difficult to say if its the same, but I tweaked his mag a bit and it was all good… It had me puzzled for a bit but I marked a few rounds with a marker and a line to indicate top and left etc… and found what I believe to have been the mag feeding low and that’s my guess for yours if that makes any sense to you mate… With very slight adjustment of the bit’s that set the angle of the presented round, his was all good… I’m far from an expert but it worked for his issue… Hopefully this solves the issue for you also mate…

At the very least worth examining imo… best of luck mate

Just a guess really without having the offending gun in my hands for a proper look…:beers:

Thanks for that mate, I’ll get around to fiddling with it sooner or latter. :+1:

A post was merged into an existing topic: Guy makes AR lower from old fired brass cases.

.22 Review: Mossberg 802 Plinkster
I have had one of these rifles for a few years now, I bought it as a scoped package for $350 but I think they go for about $450 now.
It is a budget rifle as the price would suggest but its intended purpose was just as a plinker to teach the kids with and it has seen many thousands of rounds through it, the only problems we have ever had with it is maybe 10 times the extractor has jumped the case rim and I’ve had to tap the case out with a cleaning rod, but like I said thats only 10 or so times out of many thousands of shots.
the scope (a no named Chinese thing ) it came with was a 4-9 x 40 I think and worked just fine for a spot of plinking but I have upgraded it to cheap 4-12x50 that came off something else, mostly just because I had one to put on there.
I can’t really say much about the accuracy of the rifle as I never did do any testing to see what ammo it likes, but we have shot plenty of what ever was cheap at the time, Whinchester 555, Remington Bucket-o-bullets, Highland Subs and what ever else was on hand at the time and they all shoot roughly minute of tin can. I’m sure knowing how fussy some '22’s are that if you did the correct testing you would find a bullet that it shoots well I just never bothered.
The fit and finish on this rifle was as you’d expect from an entry level gun, the plastic stock is pretty flimsy and the QD stud I fitted to the stock to put a sling on it tore out pretty quickly. The plastic rail on the fore end has held a bipod on as its meant too.
The plinkster is certainly an entry level gun. Am I sorry I bought it? definitely not it has provided many, many hours of fun for everyone and worked almost flawlessly and I would recommend won as a first gun, a knock around you don’t have to worry about scratching Etc.

I have an Anschutz 1710 and with factory mags it feeds pretty flawlessly but they are $125. I bought a couple of Savage mags for $30 each as they were meant to be the same or with a little filing. Anyway they look the same but they arnt even with a fair bit of adjustment filing here and there the curve is sharper and they dont fit properly. I can get them to work sometimes if you adjust them just right but I regret buying those mags and should have put the money towards a factory one.

.22 Review: Savage Mod. 24 .22/20ga combo
These guns are unfortunately not made anymore, but they come up on the second hand market quite often. The quality of these guns is much better in my opinion than the POS model they make these days and the 20 ga is a better gauge than the .410 too.
I paid $300 for mine a few years ago, but I have seen then go anywhere up to about $700 on the used gun sites.
It has a dovetail so a scope can be mounted but I’ve never mounted one, I’m guessing a red dot would probably work ok with both barrels, but I haven’t tried it.
this run is quite fond of Remington Yellow Jackets but shoots ok with highland subs too.
I originally bought this gun for the kids but I fell in love with it and like it as a duel purpose bunny / fox gun with a .22 in the top and a few BB’s in the bottom barrel.

maybe mine has a savage mag too?

@tayz this would be a good thread for you to read, knowing your in the market for a .22! :+1:

1 Like

They are grouse. My bastard brother in law sold his to someone else after promising to sell it to me. Never forgiven him for that. But don’t really need one now.

Awesome, thanks I’ll have a look through, should help me decide :slight_smile:
Only problem is I’m going to need a bigger safe :joy:

We all need a bigger safe, got bolt another one in next to the one you have!

TOZ 17 review - Bargain priced Soviet workhorse.
I purchased my TOZ cheaply, initially just for its magazine (My Brother had lost his) as it was priced about the going rate for just Magazines. The plan was to keep the magazine and resell the rifle, however I made the mistake of throwing a scope on it and taking it to the range.
It is quite accurate for a cheap 22 and is not at all fussy about what ammunition is used, everything I’ve tried has shot acceptably.
The Timberwork is crude, like a year 10 project (that got a C), the stock has a Schnabel forend and some checkering and is adult sized, but is just not as well formed as it could be. The buttplate is blued steel. The inletting is functional.
The barrel and action show plenty of machining marks and the receiver is grooved for rings.The Muzzle has a large cone then flat section with the crown recessed a fair bit.
Medium to high rings are needed to clear the rear sight unless it is removed, these make a consistent hold a touch difficult to achieve.
The bolt has a very stiff spring and a lot of mass behind the firing pin, this combines to give consistent ignition, over a thousand or so rounds I have yet to have a misfire.
The trigger on mine has been worked on, and is much better than other TOZ’s I have shot, all part of the gamble with secondhand guns.
The magazine is similar to an old Sportco or Marlin (both of which can be modified to work in these) hold six rounds and is very crudely made and hand fitted to the rifle - when new they came with 2 matching numbered magazines and they are not necessarily interchangeable between rifles. The magazine release is very easy to use, even if you do not mean to…It sits just at the natural balance point carrying the rifle in one hand around paddocks and the Magazine is a loose fit at best. Reflective tape is a wise addition and makes them easier to find once you notice its gone.

Conclusion- Functionally almost the equal of My Model 2 BRNO, but incomparable aesthetically and in ease of use. Its my go to 22 for knockabout use or rainy weather, when the nice rifles stay at home. They are as cheap as anything, just make sure you get one or more magazine with the gun.

1 Like

Browning BL-22 for me. It’s fun to shoot, 15 shot, short throw lever action, light and you can shoot it left or right hand. Best used with open sights. Face it, It’s only a .22 caliber.

1 Like

I have a single shot toz (my little pink princess) it’s a beautifully accurate little gun.
Toz / Baikal guns are very underrated in my opinion.

6 posts were split to a new topic: Show us your 22s

I’m going for a shoot in the morning, I might take the Remington mod 6 out to bust a bunny or two.