Which 22lr For Me? Info For the NEWBY & Real Rifle Reviews by Real Rifle Users

TOZ 17 review - Bargain priced Soviet workhorse.
I purchased my TOZ cheaply, initially just for its magazine (My Brother had lost his) as it was priced about the going rate for just Magazines. The plan was to keep the magazine and resell the rifle, however I made the mistake of throwing a scope on it and taking it to the range.
It is quite accurate for a cheap 22 and is not at all fussy about what ammunition is used, everything I’ve tried has shot acceptably.
The Timberwork is crude, like a year 10 project (that got a C), the stock has a Schnabel forend and some checkering and is adult sized, but is just not as well formed as it could be. The buttplate is blued steel. The inletting is functional.
The barrel and action show plenty of machining marks and the receiver is grooved for rings.The Muzzle has a large cone then flat section with the crown recessed a fair bit.
Medium to high rings are needed to clear the rear sight unless it is removed, these make a consistent hold a touch difficult to achieve.
The bolt has a very stiff spring and a lot of mass behind the firing pin, this combines to give consistent ignition, over a thousand or so rounds I have yet to have a misfire.
The trigger on mine has been worked on, and is much better than other TOZ’s I have shot, all part of the gamble with secondhand guns.
The magazine is similar to an old Sportco or Marlin (both of which can be modified to work in these) hold six rounds and is very crudely made and hand fitted to the rifle - when new they came with 2 matching numbered magazines and they are not necessarily interchangeable between rifles. The magazine release is very easy to use, even if you do not mean to…It sits just at the natural balance point carrying the rifle in one hand around paddocks and the Magazine is a loose fit at best. Reflective tape is a wise addition and makes them easier to find once you notice its gone.

Conclusion- Functionally almost the equal of My Model 2 BRNO, but incomparable aesthetically and in ease of use. Its my go to 22 for knockabout use or rainy weather, when the nice rifles stay at home. They are as cheap as anything, just make sure you get one or more magazine with the gun.

1 Like

Browning BL-22 for me. It’s fun to shoot, 15 shot, short throw lever action, light and you can shoot it left or right hand. Best used with open sights. Face it, It’s only a .22 caliber.

1 Like

I have a single shot toz (my little pink princess) it’s a beautifully accurate little gun.
Toz / Baikal guns are very underrated in my opinion.

6 posts were split to a new topic: Show us your 22s

I’m going for a shoot in the morning, I might take the Remington mod 6 out to bust a bunny or two.

Any word on when it’ll arrive? I havent heard about mine yet - and its nearly September.

I have. Sighted it in, that’s the tuna can above, lol. Shoots alright. Need to go to a range, with a sturdy bench and tune it, but so far it’s what I expected it to be, so I’m happy. Popped Leupold 1 - 4 optic on it. Nice combo methinks.

1 Like

A22R? I’ve pinged Sunbury, they don’t know, but we’re told that they are “in the first shipment”. That’s all I know. That said, they said late September, early October, so heaps to go. I’d imagine that once they are in, they’d want to get them out the door ASAP, to free up space and start new order, so I don’t think you’d wait long when they land. I understand the wait though, exciting and too long.

Yep, I went with O’Reileys. They have no news either.

Well, nothing to do but wait.

I think there must be a thing with the magazines for the 1450. I bought one if these as a cheap plinker that had clearly been extensively used. The magazine that came with it had been bubba’d and didnt feed well at all. I got a replacement 5 shot that has performed flawlessly. Only problem I have had is getting a set of rings to grip securely on the dovetail, the rings tend to end up slowly sliding back. I snapped one torque head screw off in a ring being ham fisted trying to get it to stop moving.

2 Likes

If I may ask BA, Is that your young bloke ?.. Its certainly not the first shot this young fella has made, he presents well practiced… :sunglasses::+1::beers:

Yep, that’s my boy. He’s been shooting for a little while, needs a lot more practice (don’t we all) but he’s got the basics sorted. Shooting with him is my favourite thing, his is playing computer games games…

2 Likes

If that’s his target, he needs less practice than I Do!

So it looks like the Savage A22R blued models have landed! I guess a few more weeks for stainless, oooooooo, getting excited again. I’m waiting for stainless. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s great news. My work situation is in flux right now due the sudden death of the owner (also a good mate) so I’m holding off on any purchases until I have some stability.

Sorry to hear of your loss, Wombat.

Also sorry to hear that mate, hope the work bit at least comes up Wombat.

Thanks guys, There’s always work, its loosing a friend that really hurts.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Savage A22R discussion