Survival firearms

If room is a problem then you could look at something like the Ruger Scout in 308. Nice and short but still has the stopping power, 10 round mag and perfect for mid range and scrub work.

1 Like

Don’t tempt me @1Fatman got my eye on one of them, really want a long barreled 300 win mag with a good scope and a short barreled high mag cap 308 with a red dot

1 Like

Haha, now is your chance to get half of the wish list and it would fit perfectly in the Jeep.

Not quite correct. 20g is OK.

1 Like

Why red dot and and not something like 1-5 ?

I think Ruger scout, Steyr scout or any scout for that matter are quite awkward and heavy (all things considered).

Scrub gun, Ruger Bushmaster 450. I seen it in action, omfg. Likewise Ruger in 7.62x39. All smaller and lighter than scout rifles and allow for a MUCH better optic mounting. They have protruding mags, I hate that for stalking gun, but it could be your thing.

I’m going to go smack myself for saying this, bit why, @AusTac. I mean, more is better, but practical use - your 500 is absolutely perfect.

Long range, 300wm is on my wishlist too :slight_smile:

…scrub and to 200-300m what you have is great, the other couple of options are good, smaller 308s are good. Scouts - looks badass, but about as practical as the greens. Very awkward and overweight, when I handled them.

1 Like

Yeah your right but does anyone even use 20g anymore? :thinking:

I haven’t really put much practical thought into it let alone handled a ’ scout rifle ’ i have heard they’re heavy though, everything i have has a long ass barrel and since getting the t/c its so pointable handy small and light yet really packs some power i’ll spend some money pimping it as i can’t afford to setup a whole new rifle anyway, plus i don’t reeeeeally need one, not sure about the forward optic thing on scout rifles, i’m sort of planing to move away from scopes apart from long range, besides the weight and heft i never quite know what i did what it last time, red dots and iron sights are set and forget for me, plinkadink will be a good chance to check all my zero’s again, i find it real hard to keep up with what ammo i was shooting and zeroed on, bit disorganized like that with my 308

What about 16.5" barrel, something like lever action carbine in 357 (a lot lighter than 44, otherwise I’d suggest a 44). Eh! That’s thinking outside the box. Or 44, because, well, respectable gentleman like you should really have both.

Basically what you want is an all round, durable, reliable rifle. That works in all conditions and keeps working. Something tactical. With a hint of military.

Have you considered a Mosin?
http://m.usedguns.com.au/Product_Desc.aspx?Pid=134823

The original tactical rifle!

I have 12g single barrel if u want a loaner for the trip.

Because he doesn’t have guns lol. He’s just fishing for validation that he needs more guns.

Yes, you do, @AusTac.

Levers and i have never really got along that well, a good mountain rifle is a bolt action imo, a cut down bubba .303 is a good choice, spewing i sold mine now, i have a single barrel @Oldbloke thanks for the offer though, i appreciate it, i’m half tempted to sell some guns and start again, changed my plans a bit and may be pushing into nsw for a night, i think in national park so possibly not taking anything at this stage, have to phone up parks and wildlife nsw to make sure i won’t end up in the slammer, don’t think they take kindly to firearms in national parks, the sections in vic with national parks im going through are all huntable now, and last time i was in the area i saw two nice sambars as well about 50m away

Well I might be able to get you a cheap No1 Mk3 only issue that you would have with it is it doesn’t have field sights it would have iron target sights. But it you were going to buba something to put a red dot on then it may be ok. Toog good to buba really but not good enough for much else as they have had the field sights taken off and the old heavy barrel fitted.

But really the best bush gun would be a light 308 a 5 shot mag the 10 shot make them too heavy better with another mag in your pocket.

303 good as it has short double stack mag.

@AusTac I’ll give you a good deal on a 357 lever action if you want!
But really any fucking gun will do! A .22 a 50 bmg and anything in between. A survival rifle is the one near by when you need a rifle.
But seriously buy more guns…

1 Like

So the wish list is;

Light to carry,
Not a single shot,
Big enough calibre for deer,
Able to put a red dot on,
Good for mountain work/weather.

Not sure if I missed anything…
There is a big list of firearms that fill the requirements. Without knowing what your budget is it makes it hard to recommend anything, but here goes…

Sako 85 series Finnlight 2 in 300wsm, weighs only 3kg and holds 4+1, or the 300wm at 3.1kg.
Sako 85 series Carbonlight in 300wm, weighs 3.1kg and has a stainless steel barrel.

I do like Sako’s. Both are light weight with the Finnlight made of RTM fiberglass and the Carbonlight of carbon fiber.

Pretty much mate, @1Fatman i’m really just spit balling, i’ve got a bunch of guns now so really only need ones to fill in specific job roles

So that’s a T3 Lite, .30-06, with an Aimpoint red dot on it. 6.9 Ibs with the scope on. Cheaper than Sako and just as accurate.

I quite like the tikka t3x arctic, not in 30-06 though. Nor with an aimpoint red dot.

30-06 is like old men’s saggy balls. It’s there. Everybody knows it’s there. But nobody wants them.