Savage A22R discussion

I got to shoot JS’s new toy the other day, the lever was ok to deal with. The only thing I didn’t like was loading the rotary mag.

1 Like

Yeah had a play in the end he worked out a good two hand style that was really good. That mag has some issues but it also has some quirks that if you load it by bushing the base of the case forward and down they slot in ok. It doesnt load like a ruger its not an intuitive motion it has its own unique style that you have to learn.

It shot really well. It does need some adjustment to lighten the trigger, and some other tricking / slicking would be nice to undertake.

So, magazine, looks like Ruger. Feels more solid than Ruger. Loads horribly. I got used to it and I am pretty quick with it, but like for like with Ruger, it’s very unintuitive.

It hasn’t happened when I shot with you guys, but I have had the magazine jam on me twice. Potentially putting quite a few hundred rounds through it smoothed it out, but it did happen and I had to jam cartridges out with my Leatherman.

Heavy trigger, unquestionably heavy, but crisp. I got used to it. But it is heavy. I think I know how to lighten it. Speaking of heavy, the way it’s constructed, the lever release (the semi-semi part) will not loosen up. It’s a matter of a heavy tension spring and overall retrofitting of it over a regular A22 rather than polishing parts.

Um, yeah, that’s about it. Still love the gun. Hoping someone comes out with a cool looking chassis for it :slight_smile:

Cleaver firearms have an MDT LSS chassis listed for the A22R that looks good.

Still planning on picking one up myself but not for a little. Spending money went on a new dog over the Christmas break

Savage are also releasing one that is already in the MDT LSS chassis. Due in to Cleavers at the end of January $1299 or the chassis by it’s self is $395

80f77548-801f-4c3c-8650-77554ceabe72_small

Does it come with a butt and tube though

Meh, either way, I’d rather spend that money on something else. One day…

No it doesn’t. So really more like $750 for chassis, butt, grip, adapters and P&H. LOL pass!

Or if you buy the tactical version it is only about $600 more than what you pay for the original rifle.

Yeah, total bullshit

I see that they have released them in a laminated stock as well.

Mmmmm, also nah.

@juststarting Mate you need to get your A22 to your LGS the NIOA are sending reps out to fix the heavy trigger and the bolt release lever.

Has anyone seen where you can get a 25 or even a 15 round mag for this Rifle?

Don’t need a rep, just saying.

25 is not legal.
15 - don’t know, but I’d be keen if you find one.

1 Like

BTW let’s be clear here, as I pointed out in my original review… To me, because I like obscure and weird, it’s an amazing fun gun, something different and a lot of fun, if you already have a 22, this should be the next one (or maybe the 3rd one or the 4th one, well, depends if you like pump and revolver, but you get my point). BUT compared to any of my 22s - this trigger is still very heavy. I’ve fired mine, mine with mod and honestly, you know… Still heavy.

Do you know exactly what NIOA did as is they say they changed some springs out to lower the trigger weight and the bolt release trigger. Is it a straight forward mod that you had springs for?

I understand where this gun fits in th scheme of things. Its the plinkfest gun that you get out when friends come to try something different. No argument from me there its a novelty but if it can be made to be its best then all the more fun.

Im special primary producer would be allowed a 25. I dont mind buying a 25 that has a limiter in it can be removed ALA 30 round AR mags. Dont know how they are allowed into the country with the silly laws.

Pretty much. Not much of a change.

There’s no magazine limits on Category A firearms in Queensland. Getting it past customs might be another matter, though.