Savage A22R discussion

It’s pretty neat @1Fatman, I’ve played with one, and as far as bolt action 22s go, there’s only one that I really liked and wanted for a while and I have it, so that’s that for the bolt plinkies.

I can just picture @Gwion in the corner curled up in the fetal position crying no,no.

1 Like

… rocking back and forth.

1 Like

Yeah I keep coming back to it and reading reviews etc and I am in 2 minds as to whether to get one or not. I normally don’t go for the tacticool look but I like this one.

I think that I have been hanging around you blokes too long and it’s starting to rub off. :star_struck::woozy_face::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Next thing I you know I will be looking at shotguns :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

If it’s a Ruger, you can keep it! :joy:

1 Like

I have 2 Rugers, both are great. Actually, I used to owned a Savage too and that was excellent, as well. @Gwion - you actually basing those statements on something or just jealous that you don’t have one :stuck_out_tongue:

@1Fatman, I played with that 22 - @brett has one… I like it. It’s not my cup of tea, but purely based on my preference in 22s. However, if I were to get another bolt action 22, this one would definitely be it.

I do miss my 10/22 and still have 5 or 6 mags for it.
I like the adjustability of it and would make it easier for my Granddaughter to learn on when she gets older.

There’s always the chance that the one I handled was an outlier. I’d be very interested in what others think after examining one.

It would appear that stainless is in Melbourne. Oh yerrrr!

3 Likes

So I rang the shop I’ve pre-ordered a rifle from, because I thought guns we re in and I should have heard from them. Wrong! That will teach me to go for fancy shit! I was told that stainless are still not in the country. I politely pointed out that when I asked the same question, as I was paying the deposit, I was told that rifles were in the country. Anyway, that conversation went nowhere and honestly, I don’t blame the shop, they are at importers mercy too. do you have blued sporters I asked, also no, all sold out? I said okay, thought about it, rang them back, said that I am not happy with waiting indefinitely on a product without deadlines and pulled my deposit.

It probably will get here in the next few months, but summer is here and I want to go shooting.

Did a quick web search immediately after, found the same model, but blued and asked them to put it aside. PTA went in late Wednesday, Friday everything was ready to go. Picking it up tomorrow and hopefully some Christmas specials (read: cheap 22 re-stock). Also over $100 cheaper, so I am happy with that.

But why would it be this simple? No, of course not. Not for me!

I call the shop before 1PM, today, this and that, is my PTA in? Did you get an SMS, mate? No. Well, then it’s not in. I hate it when they do that, because it’s not a real time thing… But I’ll check he says… Checked - no sorry.

That’s odd I thought to myself, LRD are usually operating with ferocious efficiency when it comes to usual processes. Being that they are an hour drive and I have a free morning dedicated to this tomorrow, I thought I am going to get to the bottom of this. So I rang the LRD. Helpful lady on the other end asked me for my licence number and told me that it was approved. Ha! So I thought, cool, I’ll wait for SMS now. As it was getting closer to end of business and I wanted to know for sure whether I am going to wake up early or not, I rand the shop again.

Different guy: did you get SMS, mate?
No.
I’ll check… No mate, it’s…

I jumped in, actually, I just spoke (and by just, I was being polite, that was like 4 hours ago) to LRD and they said it was approved, so what’s happening with that? I’ll call you back in 15 he tells me. I say okay…

Like what the heck, you going to check your carrier pigeons again, did one of the ravens die? Seriously mofo, this is why I feel like that about most shops (not gun shops, most customer service these days)? FFS Not my first freaking time you know.

Calls me back… While I’m on the throne and I never answer, but made an exception because I was hoping for good new. It’s in, mate. Me: thanks, there was awkward silence after that.

Usually, I’d name and shame, but not this time. Original shop is really dependent on the importer, who’s probably waiting on process, so really nobody to blame there, just how it is… And the second shop, I have a sneaking suspicion I know what happened, possibly illiteracy on the other end? But I will write that off to a good laugh for you guys. Also nobody to blame, kind of.

Flipside, I am saving over $100, so that’s good.

Stay tuned, more adventures tomorrow. Who knows, maybe another bush fire, maybe the roads will be closed, maybe aliens…

But you didn’t really save $100, you have just repurposed it into ammo, well that’s what you tell the wife.

Hopefully everything goes well and you get to pick it up tomorrow. And if your lucky the efpos machine will be working :rofl::rofl:

I know right, EFT my go down, anything could happen. I could walk in to get one gun and buy 2, it happened before, honestly I should not be left in a gun shop without adult supervision.

giphy

1 Like

I would say that we could get @GUN-DMC to go and supervise but that would be like throwing petrol on a fire, or better yet 2 fat kids in a lollie shop.

Yeah, it has been done before, him and @AusTac and @Brett. Really doesn’t work. I as was trying to control myself, @GUN-DMC trying to buy a gun and telling everyone to buy one each (which is a solid recommendation). @Brett was trying to molest @AusTac with a cleaning rod, then moved on to me, but I enjoyed it so he stopped. Yeah. Nah.

That was not good of him to stop just when you were enjoying it.

1 Like

I’ve got no idea what i just got dragged into

#metoo #cleaningrodsarenotsexy #unlesstheyarelubedwell

So you are picking up a blued one sat morning or getting buggered by a cleaning rod?
Let us know if the A22R is great - dont want to know if its the buggery.
I want to believe they are good, but my limited examination of one lead me to think otherwise.

@Wombat maybe both tomorrow morning, I am an open minded kind of a guy.

Will post an update… I am still waiting on my scope, that should be here on Monday. So I’ll set that business up and take it out for an evening session. See how we go. But I’ll post some preliminary thoughts as I go.

The only two major complaints, I am using that term very very loosely, are the trigger and bolt noise. Trigger - no idea. Bolt - need to context switch the brain, it’s not exactly quite when any bolt is slammed back on any semi. If someone wanted quite they can guide it into battery by hand.

Fact of the matter is, I am biased. I like shooting just as much as I like hunting. So something new and quirky like that, I already like it, but I will try to be as objective as I can.

Let me put a guess in here. the second shop that was going to put the gun aside for you sold it. so to save face they said the PTA wasn’t in, while they quickly got another one from somewhere?