Savage A22R discussion

Now I’m going to have to go back and get a photo.

No, you are correct in your description. However the photo is not correct.

It has a latch built into the magazine, but it’s hinged with tension spring behind it.

I am somewhat suspicious that it’s done that way to avoid getting smacked by Ruger for patent infringement lol.

This is weird- https://gunmagwarehouse.com/savage-arms-a22-series-22lr-10-round-magazine.html

Nope, let me finish what I am doing and I’ll take some snaps…

Review posted here:

It seems that Savage has two patterns of catch on the 22 magazines. I think the one I handled had an “early” pattern one and you got the later improved version.

Alright… So, some hands on time with this lady today and I must say, I love it! The guy next to me didn’t love it with all the brass flying at him, but I loved it, LOL

Negatives:

1. The trigger is unquestionably heavy. If you want to shoot balls of a fly, you will notice the trigger. I was however shooting 223 cases with boring predictability at 50m. It is heavy…
  2. I also found that it’s somewhat awkward to load the magazine, but I got pretty fast at it after a few goes. More of an observation and getting used to it, but thought I’d mention it.
  3. Magazine, I think it may be the way I load it or there are small tolerances… Possibly, I didn’t push the rounds all the way to the rear of the magazine (I think, because I had exactly the same issue with a box double/staggered stack magazine). I found that out of about 300 rounds, I managed to jam the magazine twice. It’s a rotary magazine and it just didn’t rotate enough to pick up a round. I just unloaded and reloaded… Seemed to work just fine after that.

Positives:

1. The rifle is accurate, I can’t say I was shooting for groups, but aiming at whatever, it did put everything within 5cm and I was shooting as fast as I could with random ammo. I think that’s awesome.
  2. OMFG I love it! I think I enjoyed shooting it more than Alfa and that’s saying a lot, because I love that carbine. This gun is just so much fun. Love it. No regrets what so ever.

Good stuff, I am glad it turned out as a good one.
How did you find the bolt release lever?
Did it “loosen” up any?

Release lever is fine.

I got to shoot JS’s new toy the other day, the lever was ok to deal with. The only thing I didn’t like was loading the rotary mag.

1 Like

Yeah had a play in the end he worked out a good two hand style that was really good. That mag has some issues but it also has some quirks that if you load it by bushing the base of the case forward and down they slot in ok. It doesnt load like a ruger its not an intuitive motion it has its own unique style that you have to learn.

It shot really well. It does need some adjustment to lighten the trigger, and some other tricking / slicking would be nice to undertake.

So, magazine, looks like Ruger. Feels more solid than Ruger. Loads horribly. I got used to it and I am pretty quick with it, but like for like with Ruger, it’s very unintuitive.

It hasn’t happened when I shot with you guys, but I have had the magazine jam on me twice. Potentially putting quite a few hundred rounds through it smoothed it out, but it did happen and I had to jam cartridges out with my Leatherman.

Heavy trigger, unquestionably heavy, but crisp. I got used to it. But it is heavy. I think I know how to lighten it. Speaking of heavy, the way it’s constructed, the lever release (the semi-semi part) will not loosen up. It’s a matter of a heavy tension spring and overall retrofitting of it over a regular A22 rather than polishing parts.

Um, yeah, that’s about it. Still love the gun. Hoping someone comes out with a cool looking chassis for it :slight_smile:

Cleaver firearms have an MDT LSS chassis listed for the A22R that looks good.

Still planning on picking one up myself but not for a little. Spending money went on a new dog over the Christmas break

Savage are also releasing one that is already in the MDT LSS chassis. Due in to Cleavers at the end of January $1299 or the chassis by it’s self is $395

80f77548-801f-4c3c-8650-77554ceabe72_small

Does it come with a butt and tube though

Meh, either way, I’d rather spend that money on something else. One day…

No it doesn’t. So really more like $750 for chassis, butt, grip, adapters and P&H. LOL pass!

Or if you buy the tactical version it is only about $600 more than what you pay for the original rifle.

Yeah, total bullshit