3D printing for reloading

first attempt at actually tweaking things in dedicated software, printing not design - that will come later

Is it a bird? Is it a toilet for @Oldbloke’s barbie set? Is it @Brett’s commemorative buttplug holder? No! It’s an RCBS Rock Chucker primer catch replacement (with a side shoot).

Those who know what I am talking about here, yes, I did go overboard (by accident) with supports, but not bad for first test using slicer.

( @TheDude for you, close up, running at fastest speed and pretty beefy layer hight, looks good for what it is I think)

(above: little deformed at the top and bottom of the mouth opening, it’s actually me trying to remove supports, not the printer)

I mean, really, all I wanted is just a replacement for a primer shoot that I didn’t get when I bought this second hand Rock Chucker. That’s all I wanted.

After seeing a lot of this…

Somehow I ended up like this…

…and then this:
2019-04-15_14-27-16
(because I messed up supports, build was closer to 6 hours)

…and he’s the bastard who killed my frog.

2 Likes

Looks good, and fits in pretty nicely.
Might have to colour it green to match :joy:

Is it one that you designed or one from Thingiverse?

I am not up to stage where i can design things. Yet.

That does look good, I’m impressed with what that thing can do for the price. For the size of that job I’m guessing you did a decent number of outside layers and or a high infill percentage. Have a play with your settings. For something that isn’t dealing with any stress you could do 2 outside layers and a 15-20% infill (or maybe even less). Will cut down filament usage and increase print speed.

Both. Yes.

Yeah, ermm, I went 30% on everything! We don’t do things in halves here LOL. This is what I mean, I need to figure out slicer software a bit better. This was attempt number 1.

Related topic for completeness:

Strength of 3D printing materials - #4 by juststarting

Alright, so still learning about print configuration, all different options and set up… So combined testing with something productive (lost the original lid) :smile:

3 Likes

Looks like you are getting your head around how it works etc pretty well.

Is that why I didn’t buy a rcbs and got a Lee … rotfl

Always wonder about a 3d printer, they look cool … but got no time for another hobby

…and now trying to use up sample material, before I start printing big stuff.

@1Fatman you like?

Could have been prettier, but at this stage I’m just trying to use up filament.

3 Likes

Looking good, you definitely have got it sorted.

Until I’m designing stuff, I feel somewhat constraint, I don’t like that feeling.

That’s not what I heard, I heard that you have a thing for cable ties and duct tape. Or is that for date night?

I thought that you would have been practicing designing stuff and using the last of the filament on that.

Other way round. I want to swap PLA for PETG, after current runs out.

Ahh got you. Have you started playing with the design software? Is it easy to use or just similar to a normal CAD type program?

Is there such thing as normal CAD… LOL I started doing online tutorials.

1 Like

While you have filament left you should print yourself one of these,

@juststarting did you look at the one above?

I did, but I have a storage solution for all my tools already. Rather just have them in a toolbox.